51 Dress Up!

Sleep never lasts long after Chris leaves but I laze in bed for a while longer, not willing to commit to a day yet. Today I have to deal with the final decisions for the coronation, but really, I just don't want to deal with the fall out from yesterday.

Thinking about yesterday's events, I realize one key point.

I never checked in with Mira.

'Psst,' I whisper directly to her, quietly enough that I won't wake her if she's sleeping.

'Hey, you're awake,' she links back immediately.

'Yeah, you up for company?' I finish getting ready as I chat with her, opting for comfort over style once more and slipping on yoga pants, a tank and hoodie.

'We're at Claire's. Hurry up, food's up soon!'

'Sold!'

Checking in with Claire has become part of my daily ritual anyways, so this is a perfect way to start my day. Her apartment is just a few doors down from mine, putting me there just in time to meet the room service attendant. The poor frazzled omega is more than happy to pass his cart off to me and take off, leaving me to bring it in.

Claire is propped up in bed once again, her hair being brushed and braided by Chloe as Willow moves her hands around Claire's giant stomach. Mira hovers next to Willow and they seem to be caught up in their own little world, probably talking about healing stuff.

"Thank God the food is here!" Claire announces. "Oh, and hi Jess." Her laughter reassures me that her spirits are still high, given the circumstances.

"Hi," I dryly reply, arching a brow.

"I was beginning to think we'd have to come get you," Chloe teases, walking over to help with the dishes. They ordered family-style breakfast so the platters are full of everything to share. Automatically, my eyes zero in on blueberry filled crêpes and I see nothing else.

"Oh my God, is that nutella filled? Gimmie," Claire pipes up.

"The food here is great," Willow says with a mouth full of chocolate muffin.

"That is the highlight," Mira mutters under her breath.

"Not wrong," Chloe agees.

"So how's the gremlin today?" I ask, changing the topic.

"Same old, same old," Claire says, sounding strained. This pregnancy has taken a toll on her, the bedrest even more, her regularly warm complexion has lost its colour and her eyes are deeply shadowed.

"He's very strong," Willow announces. "It won't be long now, he's resting for his grand exit."

"I'm so ready," Clare mumbles. "It'll all be worth it to hold my son in my arms."

"So what's going on today in the world outside my room?" she asks, changing the subject.

"Coronation prep..." I reply, not even fully knowing what it involves.

"You get to try on your dress!" Chloe replies, bouncing in her seat. "Oh, and crown jewel selection!"

"A what?" I ask, furrowing my brows.

"Have to figure out which crown you'll wear," Mira elaborates, leaning in with a mischievous grin.

"There's more than one?" I question, having realized that there would be a crown of some sort but that was as much thought as I had spared.

"Yes, there's more than one," Mira chides. "It's like shoes, over the years you get quite a collection and ones for every occasion... Speaking of which, that's on the list too." Her laughter at my suffering assures me that there's no lasting damage from yesterday.