4 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

"Hey baby," Chris says on the other end of the line.

"Hey yourself," I mumble, having woken up from a light nap.

"Did I wake you?" He asks, not bothering to hide the concern in his voice.

"I was just getting up anyways," I mumble. A quick look at the clock tells me the time is just past four, so I'll have to do something about dinner soon.

Chris grumbles on the other side of the line but thankfully doesn't press more.

Lord knows I don't want to worry him about useless nightmares right now with everything else on his plate.

"So, lay it on me," I sigh, wanting to get the elephant out of the room. There's a long pause on the line before Chris sighs so deeply I can damn near see his frown.

"I don't think we can get out of this," he reluctantly admits. We knew there was a snowball's chance in hell but part of me desperately clung on to it, wanting to stay here.

"So what does that mean?" I ask, resigned to our fate.

At least we'll be together.

"It means..." he starts, pausing to find the right words, "That we'll have to move the pack to the palace."

There's a long silence as his words hang heavy in the air.

Moving everyone... again. To where? For how long?

The questions are endless and hurt my head so I just push them away for now.

"Jess?" He whispers.

"Yeah, I'm here... It's just a lot, you know?" I reply, feeling my chest tighten.

"I know baby, but at least we'll be together, right? The Royal wing is beautiful and Percival has already said we can change anything we'd like," Chris says with an air of hope and excitement in his voice. How important this is to him is clear and I'm sure he has a lot on his plate so I pull on a brave face for him.

"By the time I get there, you'll be able to give me a grand tour," I muster.

"Anything you want baby," the care in his voice helps me relax a hair.

"So when?" I ask, trying to prepare myself.

"Xavier's going to start getting the pack ready, the first batch will leave tomorrow."

Of course Chris has it all planned out.

"So what time do I need to be ready?" I ask, not really wanting to leave home yet, but also wanting to be back in my mates loving embrace.

"Um..."

"Umm?" I parrot back, scrunching my brows.

"I want to get the pack settled first, so there's less commotion when you get here," he hesitantly replies.

"So how long are we talking?" I ask with a sense of dread.

"I'll know more later, but a few days at least, maybe a week?"

A week?! For fuck's sake!

"Say something Jess," he pleads.

"Like what?" I gasp. "I mean it is what it is... If that's the way things need to happen, what can I say."

An uneasy silence stretches over the line as neither of us knows where to go from there. I knew things were going to change but I had hoped not too drastically.

"Why don't you take some time to reconnect with everyone there," he offers. "I'm sure they've missed you..."

But I miss you...