29 Surprise

Despite a crazy day yesterday, I slept like shit. The migraine meds Doc gave me left me tired the entire day, but the constant, excited energy bombarding me from all sides from matches kept me charged up. I tried to stay and enjoy the BBQ and celebrations of the packs formally joining but, after eating an early dinner, I retreated back to our room for mindless TV and quiet while Chris and Ethan played their parts.

Chris left me in bed with a tender kiss, ordering me to take it easy today. The brat in me wants to find some trouble just because but the exhausted woman in me is as pliant as newborn lamb. With nothing pressing, there's no rush for me to get up anyways.

If there are responsibilities for the Queen to perform on a daily basis, then no one has told me. Rebecca and Leah keep to themselves, saying nothing to me since the Coronation nonsense, Chris is busy day in and day out with Barron and his Kingly duties and Ethan splits his time between lessons with Percival or hands on learning with Chris. Everyone has something to do except me, not that I need someone to hold my hand all day, but I like to keep busy...

Soft knocking on the door brings me out of my sulking and back to reality. After telling them to come in, Ethan pokes his head in, before pushing his way in with a tray and a second boy behind him.

"Hey Ethan, is that you Link?" I ask, craning my head to get a better look at the boy with curly dirty blonde hair and blue grey eyes who's practically hiding behind him.

"S-sorry H-highness," Link stammers, staring at the ground.

"Just Jess is fine, and there's nothing to be sorry about," I say with a smile, shrugging on one of Chris' hoodies. "What can I do for you boys?"

"It's what we can do for you," Ethan says with a grin, setting the tray down beside me and pulling the lid off to reveal rolled up fruit stuffed crêpes with a side of bacon. "We couldn't decide which flavour to get you so we went with a few of each."

"You didn't have to do this," I say, feeling my chest tighten and eyes water.

Fucking hormones!

"Well we kind of did..." Ethan trails off with a sheepish grin.

"Are you in trouble?" I ask, raising a brow and narrowing my gaze at the boys.

"No Hi-Je....Luna?" Link verbally fumbles and I can't hold back my giggle at his flustered state.

'Jess,' Ethan whines through mind link.

'What?!' I laugh back.

"Wait, aren't you supposed to be with Percival?" I ask, checking the time and seeing it's well into their lecture time.

"I have three days off while he's visiting home with his brother, the palace's head physician," Ethan dismisses.

"So you're bringing me breakfast? Not that I mind, but shouldn't you be off having fun?" I tease, taking a bite of a strawberry-filled crêpe.

"We have a surprise for you," Ethan says with a grin. "But you have to eat first, Chris said so, oh and change... don't wear anything nice."

His cryptic behaviour leaves me more than a little curious and confused but the excitement rolling off of him has me downing breakfast in no time. I change into yoga pants, a tank top and throw one of Chris' oversized zip-up hoodies over top before returning to where the boys are waiting.

Ethan's unruly brown hair cascades wildly across his forehead and into his eyes, but the excitement shining through makes the gold shine even brighter. Link, although subdued, is unable to hide his excitement either, but hangs back like Ethan's wing man.