39. Far from the shore

Start from the beginning

"I just want you to know that thing with that interview. You know when I couldn't get it and stuff. I'm over it. I've gotten a better opportunity and I think it's just foolish to hold a grudge. I just wanted you to know that."

Nauman shifted in his seat. He intertwined his fingers and then sighed.

"I actually came here to talk about the same thing."

Sarim was confused. What was there to talk about? He wasn't expecting an apology. Yeah, they weren't arguing anymore but that didn't mean they were anywhere close to normal. Apologies happen between normal people. And they don't even happen between normal father son duos.

"I actually never did it."

"Did what?"

"Put in the word for the guy. It was a man working under me actually. He knew that I had a connection there in that company and he used it. I got to know about it later and it was well...late."

Sarim tried saying something but words eluded him.

"You never preferred that guy over me?"

"No. Not really. I told your mother that if you wanted to, I could use my connection there but you refused so I didn't proceed with it as well. I was going to do it for you or not at all."

Sarim took a deep sigh and then placed his hands on his face in an exasperating manner.

"Baba you could've told me."

"Yes, I could've."

"Do you realize how that incident widened the wedge between us? God, I feel like such a fool."

Sarim tiredly ran a hand through his hair. This was the first time Nauman had actually talked about something which caused a showdown between him and Sarim. Otherwise, it would always be Sarim talking and Nauman just ignoring him or listening to him with an angry glare thrown his way.

How many more things were there which could be cleared if both the father and son just talked. If Sarim prompted Nauman to say something and Nauman didn't consider Sarim just a child who was too immature and below him to deserve an explanation.

What they did today, talking things out to sort their issues, they could've done it years back and today, their family wouldn't be a dysfunctional one.

Nauman had already gotten up to leave, now that he had said what he was here to say.

"Baba."

Sarim called him in a timid voice. Nauman stopped and looked at him questionably. Sarim took two steps forward and hugged him. It was awkward, not at all something both of them were used to but it was a beginning.

"Take care of yourself."

Nauman patted his back.

"You too. Do that."

It was such a pity that they thought of mending their relation only when Sarim was about to leave for god knows how many years but they were family and family members, when they want to reconnect, distance and even different countries can't stop them. They were both going to try this. They haven't said it but they would.

"You did good."

It was closest to the 'I'm proud of you, son.' Sarim was ever going to get, but for now this was enough. Because this was a first.

_____

Farwa and Irma had given him all their hugs and teary goodbyes while he was leaving home. Nauman was coming with him to the airport where Sarim was going to see his friends as well. Irma had just given birth not a week back and it wasn't right for her to travel half an hour to the airport. Farwa was staying with her. But the love they had showered over him and mouthed their best wishes was more than enough for Sarim. He held Zimal in his arms and felt a little sad. He was probably going to miss out a lot on the initial years of her life but he would try his best to be there.