salish [1] [diluc]

- MODERN GENSHIN AU - DILUC & KAEYA -

×

"Your reckless attitude is why dad died."

Silence gathered around the table while Diluc just stared at his brother in front of him. They had been fighting all day already, but in their typical calm way. Their mother slapped Kaeya's arm slightly, who just ignored it and stabbed his food. Diluc pushed his not even touched food in the middle of the wooden table and got up, not even trying to talk back.

×

She hit her fist against the fridge, making the tall male flinch.

Silence fell around them as the front door clicked, steps could be heard in the whole house. Diluc pulled down his sleeves even more.

"I'm home!"

Kaeya walked into the kitchen, sighing in exhaustion while swinging the keys in his hands. He stopped when he realized how heavy the air was; how angry his mother looked and how Diluc was standing there, straight as an arrow; his expression unreadable.

"... What happened?"

Their mother turned around, her arms crossed. The redhead just moved his head and looked out of the kitchen window.

"Your brother is an ungrateful kid, that's what happened! He's so unbelievably useless!"

"You know that's not true."

Kaeya defended his brother, looking at the woman with a confused and stern expression.

"You should've died instead of your father."

Her harsh words hit the redhead directly in the face, as if someone had just kicked his teeth in.

"... good night."

Was all he said before walking towards the stairs. The blue haired male just stood there in complete confusion, not getting to know what caused the fight as his mother walked towards her own bedroom.

God, if only dad was still here.

Kaeya walked towards the fridge and grabbed some water before also going upstairs into his own room. The fights between his mother and brother became normal.

It was suddenly so silent that evening.
No music was playing from his brother's room that night either.

×

The following morning was also quiet, Kaeya was sitting alone while eating breakfast. His mother came down in a hurry, her hair still a bit messy. She walked towards the blue haired male, gave him a kiss on the cheek and ruffled his hair a bit.

"Morning sweetie! I'm a bit late so i'll leave first, have a good day at school!"

She was just about to leave, opening the front door when Kaeya stopped her.

"Mom."

She turned around, a faint smile formed on her lips. She closed the door again, giving all her attention to her adopted son. Her red-brownish, short, curly hair resembled the hair of his brother.

"What happened yesterday?"

Her smile disappeared, she started to frown.

"That's unimportant. He's fine. Don't worry about him and go to school, okay?"

She smiled again, but it looked so fake to Kaeya that it made him feel sick. Still, he just nodded and watched her leave. He heard the creaking sound of the stairs behind him and turned around, with a slightly worried expression.