Come back home

- September 17th 2023 -

"What is that even supposed to mean?" Maya asked turning towards her wife who was following her down the stairs.

"You're acting like you're simply proud of them for whatever they do, whatever decision they make. Don't you understand that it could actually be dangerous for her?" Carina explained waving her hands around while Maya kept walking towards the living room.

"And so what? Do we have to keep her tight in her room so that she doesn't get hurt? Do we wanna do that with both of them?" The blonde frowned while running her left hand through her hair. She wasn't yelling, she promised herself she wouldn't do it ever again after what happened last time, but Carina was making it pretty difficult.

"Dio mio Maya! Ma secondo te? I'm just saying that the danger she's putting herself into isn't just walking around the streets at late night, she's gonna run into burning buildings!" Carina had been trying, since Leslie's first day at the Academy, to be supportive as much as she could, but she was already constantly worrying.

"She's not running into burning buildings now Carina. She's learning how to lift hoses and wear equipments. She's learning how to run into burning buildings so that it won't hurt her when she'll have to!" Maya let her body fall on the couch as her wife was still walking back and forth from the livingroom to the kitchen.

They had been discussing since they woke up and Leslie left to go to the Academy.
It's a thing they had been doing quite a lot in the past few weeks, because of Carina's condition or Maya's job and even about the girls.

It was almost three years into their marriage and here they were, already forgetting why they loved each other in the first place.

"God, you really wanna be her hero don't you?" The italian asked ironically before resting her body on the wall and closing her eyes.

"Stop it."

"Stop what, Maya?"

"Stop it Carina! No. I don't want to be her hero. I don't care at all about being her hero. I'm just glad and thankful and happy that she found her own way. Can't you be?" They yelled at each other with no resistance this time.

"Just because you saved her life now we are willing to let her put it in danger? Cause we are proud? Do you understand that it doesn't make any sense Maya?" The italian started to gesture towards her wife while walking back to the kitchen.

"I want you to please at least look at me when I'm speaking to you." Maya spoke angrlily standing up and following the brunette to the kitchen.

"The Carina I know wouldn't want anything but that for her daughter. Nothing but fulfilling her dreams. Why now it feels like you're willing to do anything to stop her? This isn't just about Les, isn't it?" The blonde knew she was losing it and also knew that Carina's emotions weren't stable lately but still definitely better than months before.

Both feeling the air going heavier they took a deep breath, without looking at each other.

"You just...when Joy throws all of her toys around you just giggle and play with her and then I am the one who has to gather everything. After Leslie told us you were just super happy and I had to be the indecisive one. I am the mother while you are just trying to act like the fancy and funny aunt that they're surely gonna love. Be a mother Maya for once." The brunette almost wispered in her most angry tone. She felt Maya's gaze on herself but couldn't quite decipher it until she saw it and understood that she had messed up.

"Carina you can't say that." The blonde wispered while leaning on the kitchen table.

"I am saying this instead. Let me speak the truth. You get your wonderful working carreer, your high position in the SFD. Your daughters love you because the older one knows that she can do anything when she's with you and you are her amazing mother that a year ago pulled her out of a fire and away from her abusive father. The little one because you always have time to play cause God forbid that you help in this place after hours at work. Well it'll be surprising for you but I work too and eventually I am the only one that at some point around 1 am takes the phone to tell Leslie to come back home cause it's late or tells Joy that throwing pancakes around the table it's not how you eat them. I'm being their mother, just me." Carina full on yelling knew that she had reached the bottom, but she had been feeling like this for a while. She loved Maya, as always, but neither of them could deny that things were a lot more tricky lately, whether it was for their jobs or the constant worry for their children. The facts didn't change.