A whole new world

two weeks later (now present)

"Wait a minute. It says 300 euros which means almost 360 dollars, Carina come on!"

It was probably the fifth crib they were looking at and Carina was absolutely mesmerized by the fact that an American store had an italian crib on sale.

"But it's italian! It will probably last way longer than any other we've been looking at. And it's not even that much. It has also the bed, we can use it until the baby is three.
Please bambina, please." Carina looked at her wife with her best puppy eyes. She knew it would break her eventually.

"I haven't received my salary for the past two months. And we are having a baby in eight months. Let's just try and find something just a little less expensive. Please." She knew that she had to be the reasonable one in this case, knowing that her wife would have probably bought a whole new world for the baby.

"Ok but I get to pick the color for the room."
It sounded like a great compromise to Carina.
Of course it was still too early to know the gender of the baby, but whether it was boy or girl Carina still wanted a cool color for the walls.

"Deal." Maya offered her hand so that her wife could shake it in agreement.

They had been walking up and down the store for almost three hours. The stick showed them the result two days before and Carina ran to Grey Sloan so that Dr. Wilson could run a few test and give her an ultrasound to see the little blob that they would soon enough call baby.
They knew exactly the date of the implant and so they were well aware how far along she was.

They decided to keep it a secret for everybody until the end of the first trimester, which meant two more months, and then the news would be shared.
Carina was too well aware of the statistics about miscarrages before the end of the third month, and didn't want to reveal anything to anybody before they were absolutely sure it would work.

Maya on the other hand wanted to tell everything to everybody, but her wife was keeping her shut for now.

The week before Maya was literally going crazy about it so Carina granted her the permission to tell to the first person they would meet going out.

There was a lovely young lady walking down the road in front of the building with her dog and Maya went straight towards her to tell her that they were having a baby and she needed to tell somebody to relieve a little the excitment she was feeling.

The girl laughed a little and congratulated with the pair.
Maya was pretty proud of it and thanked her wife with a 'cappuccino e brioche' in her favourite italian cafè.

Maya was eagerly waiting to tell Andy and the team and so started to think about funny t-shirts that they could wear going to the station saying something like 'I've got a bun in the oven' or 'You're all gonna be aunts and uncles' or again 'Probie coming May 2022' with an arrow pointing at Carina's belly.

She could already picture herself the shoked faces of her friends and collegues and the cheers and laughters coming right after.
And she could feel the joy.
Maya had to admit. It was pretty great.

one month ago

Carina woke up to the beeping sound of the hospital heart rate machine.
She frowned a little for the bright light of the room and turned her head slightly only to meet her wife's wonderful blue eyes.

"Goodmorning sunshine." She spoke smiling wide.

It meant it went well.

"It went very very well. You did great." She stroke her wife's hair smiling.