Ten to go

- end of July 2021 -

"I need the charger!" Maya yelled from the livingroom to her wife.

"You'll have to unpack your suitcase sooner or later bambina." Carina said coming back with said charger in her hand.
Maya was sitting on the couch with her laptop opened on the website of apparently the only clinic Carina intended to consider amongst all those they have searched for on the net.

"I will eventually, promise." She tapped the couch so that Carina could sit next to her.

They spent a few nights of their honeymoon searching through some of the best clinics to proceed with the IVF pregnancy while still thinking about how to actually handle it.
Maya had been pretty supportive to Carina, facing the fears she was still keeping from her wife.

"It says that we'll have to wait until July 30th for the first appointment! Maya come on!" Carina was a little pissed, thinking already that her wife wanted to postpone because she wasn't sure yet.

"Baby, we could even go now but do we actually know what we would tell the doctor? Do we have a plan? Anything at all?" If there was one thing Maya was always a step ahead of her wife, it was planning. Plus a little more time of waiting could only do good to her unsure heart and mind.

"And you like the clinic, it's literally the only one that you approved. We could try and call, see if they have a free spot earlier if you like. But I trust you, and if you trust this place then we go from here, alright?"
It surprised her how she could calm Carina's fears when she had her own almost eating her alive.

"Si, ok. You're right bambina, but I'm just a little scared, that if it takes too much time then it'll be too late." Age wasn't something to ignore. Carina wasn't thirty anymore and needed to consider the chance of being "too old".

"Too late for what Carina? You're not eighty years old!" Maya tried with a joke to reassure her wife. "It's ok to worry, but not for unnecessary reasons." The blonde stated reaching out her hand to take her wife's.

"I know. I know bella." Carina smiled softly. "Where would I be if I hadn't had you?" She laughed a little at the feeling of her own watery eyes.

"That is the exact same question I've been asking myself for the past year."
Maya knew that the brunette woman in front of her had somehow saved her life back then. If only Carina could know what Maya couldn't express.

"So if this is the choice...now we just have to wait." Maya closed her laptop and walked away from the livingroom towards the bedroom.
After putting the device in the top drawer of her nightstand she turned around at the sound of a closing door.
Standing in front of it her wonderful wife was taking off her shirt.

"I was thinking that..." Carina started to undo the first button of her trousers "since we are going to have a baby..." one more button. Maya's mouth going dry, heart beating fast.
"We might not have that much time for...this."

Carina felt her heart skip a beat for the speed of her blonde wife who grabber her from her waist and dragged her to their bed.

Something good was definitely about to happen now.

- third week of August -

"Wait wait wait wait wait." Maya tried to stop her wife. Carina was holding the syringe centimeters away from the spot in which she had to insert the needle for the fourth injection.

"Maya you're not a child and this isn't the first one that you do." Carina knew why her wife was trying literally everything to avoid it, but still it had to be done before they went to work.

"I know that I'm not but I puked for almost an hour straight yesterday and today I'm really not in the mood for it."
She was so pissed that the first injections were hitting her so hard. It was just the beginning and she was already tired of it.
Why they had to be her eggs and not just Carina's?
They decided it together a month earlier and she was happy about it, but it was making her feel so shitty that she found herself regretting it more than once.

"Ok then, let's set a deal. Next time my eggs, your belly." Carina reacted pointing first to her lower abdomen and then to her wife's naked belly.

"No way, I'll never do it." Maya shook her head in disapproval. What they chose was the best option to make sure that both of them would see the kid as theirs.
It would have been one day.

Carina got closer and finally sank the needle in her wife. Letting go right after, she covered Maya with her own shirt and helped her raise back up.
Fourth injection checked. Ten more to go.

Ten more days.

Maya spent half of the morning the day before, sitting on the floor next to the toilet, puking inside it every ten minutes before she almost passed out on the bed and eventually fell asleep.

As soon as the doctor told them they could start with the first injection, Maya was akwardly happier than she had ever been.
Carina knew it was due to the medications but still it was kind of fun. Until she started to feel worse and worse ending up begging Carina to call the doctor to change the amount of medications for each day.
She knew it would lead to a longer procedure for eggs' collection, but seeing Maya like that made her heart ache so bad that if it were necessary, she would have waited ten more months.

"Ok so...now we both go to work, fighting fires and delievering babies. But if you feel even just a little nauseous, you put Andy in charge and you come back home. You take off your clothes, take the pills to stop the nausea and go straight to bed.
Clear enough?"

Carina was becoming a little better in planning, especially when the thing that she had to plan was her wife's resting day.
She knew how hard it was for Maya to just let herself feel weak for once, she grew up under the constant pressure of her father's demands. Now she had to rest and to Maya it felt like the hardest thing someone could ask from her.

"Oh and if you bleed -"

"I call you right away and then we call the doctor together." Maya interrupted knowing exactly what her wife was about to say.
"I remember that one." She smiled while getting up from the bed.

Carina's being an OB always somehow made Maya feel under a constant good pressure.
She knew her wife wanted to just take care of her, it wasn't of course anything selfish. But Maya was starting to feel a little overwelmed by the constant attention her wife was giving her.
She was used to it with Carina of course, but not with Doctor Deluca.
And in the past few days she was't quite sure which one of them she was spending her days with.

"I will call you on my lunch break anyway." Carina reassured while putting the syringe box in the drawer.

Ten to go.

Notes

I want to precise something:
Everytime I write 2 months or one month earlier I'm always referring to present. So a month earlier is a month later but still before the result of the test (chapter 2)

Hope you understand and enjoy

Prepare for the next one...it'll be one hell of a chapter

Love
Giulia_Rachel