Safwa came out of her car. She was graduating in about three weeks. The university life was coming to an end and now her focus was the company. She wasn't a novice anymore but she wasn't an expert either and she wanted to change that. Channel everything she had to be better at what she always knew she would become, a businesswoman.

She made her way towards her cabin, small and very cosy but as classy as it should have been. She loved that little space. It was a new day and she was ready to face whatever it had stored it in for her.

As she entered inside her cabin, she had very conveniently ignored Bisma who was waiting for her evening greeting from Safwa.

Yeah, Safwa was changing. From the worst. For the better.

_____

The rotation for today was the pediatrics ward. Dr. Nadira was leading their group. She was one of those teachers who would never raise her voice but almost always had the class under control. Izaan had always liked it when she was explaining to them the conditions and progress of the patients because there was no unnecessary clutter, no students talking amongst themselves and certainly no pulling and pushing. Just work and facts.

He was noting things down, his hands were running over the notes as fast as the Doctor was speaking. He didn't stop for once. Nodding along to any important point she was raising and mumbling a busy response, correct almost all the time when she'd ask a question.

At the end of the rotation as usual, she patted his arm with a smiley 'keep it up'. He nodded and joined Kumail and Roshna. The three of them sat in the stairs leading to the cafeteria and open grassy space. Kumail and Roshna wanted something to eat but he refused. They had left him and walked towards the cafeteria.

Izaan watched their figures getting small as they entered through the opened doors. Kumail was saying something, apparently not wise and Roshna was shaking her head but her laugh could be felt from there itself. Izaan couldn't hear it but he could feel it reaching him.

Happiness.

The rare and right now pretty unknown feeling to him. The void in the center of his heart was turning into a gaping hole. He had himself pushed away something akin to this. There were Kumail and Roshna, once upon a time there were Izaan and Safwa as well. The noise of the sea, which turned into a melodious symphony, the shore which was beaming in a euphoria of finding its beloved.

How does the shore do that? Even after knowing that the union is fleeting, short lives, barely there still it stays and waits. Waiting is never beautiful. Keeping some waiting is even worse. Then how the shore musters up the courage to stay and never leave.

Maybe because it's easy to symbolize something in mere objects and marvels of nature but in reality, between humans, love isn't like this. It's twisted and it has turns, those where you often get lost and when you come out of it, you and your beloved both are on separate parts, away, stranded and cold.

In a sudden moment this day had lost its normalcy. He had vowed to not think on these lines but here he was. Thinking about what was once his but now just a mere echo, that too a receding one.

It was all his own doing still he couldn't be blamed.

"Here!"

Roshna extended the porcelain cup towards him. He looked mildly confused and then took it from her hand.

"It's black, without sugar."

He nodded. It was good that they had such a good coffee facility available in the campus. The campus and the hospital were adjacent so they never had to worry about the refreshments.