"He is, Ammi Jaan but Elaf is...she's so young. A responsibility like this.."

"Oh, the whole responsibility will be on Ruman. Seeing your daughter and her tendency for causing trouble. This is just our way of ensuring that she never breaks apart from her family and to give you some peace as well. Wouldn't you want someone to look after her now that you are physically feeble to do so? So that she wouldn't make poor choices like she did about this theater thing? God knows what we are going to say to our relatives and acquaintances once they see the cover story and Elaf's picture. That's something we have to think about but for now this is our suggestion."

He still had a scowl on his face. Mrs. Bilqees Durrani knew that she would have to work a bit more to get him on board. He was a proud father and the fact that his pride had been wounded by his daughter was going to act like a catalyst here. She could see him agreeing with just a bit more persuasion.

It was high time Elaf Daud was caged. She had had enough free reign. She had done enough damage.

___

Safwa stood in front of her floor length mirror and gave herself a critical look searching for any signs of another restless night she had. Her makeup had come in handy and almost all the blemishes were hidden beneath a fine coat.

She had come back to her normal life only the day after her and Izaan...

Well they had ended things. Or he had ended things. It was all the same because they weren't together anymore anyway.

The first few days were hell, living and breathing hell. She was amazed how someone can miss someone else so much who was still alive. Isn't this kind of longing for the people you've lost in the inevitability of death? But it was death. Of what was between them. Of what they shared.

She didn't want to mope. No. She didn't want to shed tears as well. She had done that in front of Sarim and Elaf. She had done it in front of Hesham as well who used to come to see her almost everyday in the evening. They would talk about everything but bringing in Izaan was forbidden and Hesham respected that.

With their breakup, it seemed like a wedge had also come between their friend circle as well. They hadn't hung out in weeks because no one wanted to make Izaan and Safwa uncomfortable by making them spend time in each other's presence. Also, it was impossible for Elaf to make excuses and leave her family home for long periods. His Dado and Tayi both were nosy and she didn't want to give them any reasons to be more of a nuisance than they already were. That's what she had told Safwa the last time they sat together in the university, which was last week. Safwa hadn't heard from her since then. Sarim and Hesham used to check up on her whenever they got the time. She was thankful to all friends. It was their support that she hadn't broken down into pieces and was slowly pulling herself together. Her nights would still be spent in mourning over something she was just getting used to having and was snatched from her but in the day she was at least some semblance of herself.

She sometimes used to wonder if it was hurting Izaan the same way it was hurting her? Or was he so engrossed in his confidence that he had done them a favour to even miss her. He should miss her. It was only fitting because she missed him too.

She missed him even when she was already thinking of him. He was always on her mind but she missed him.

She missed them.

But what could she do about it? Talk? They had talked. Beg? What's the love that lets you fall to that low. They could do much to mend things but what was even the point when all this would crumble once again and this time around the pieces would pierce in their fingers, the fingers would bleed and then all will be blood and roses and ashes and embers.