Chapter 47

Harry

I opened my eyes slowly, still sleepy as I tried to regain consciousness. The lights that illuminated the room blinded me. The bed I was placed on was uncomfortable. I was surrounded by people that I was still unable to identify who was speaking. I couldn't follow the conversation, but I heard the words Aspen, Liam, blood, passed out and stomach. These words all together made no sense in my head.

"Look, I think he's waking up." I recognized Niall's voice.

My vision finally cleared, allowing me to see Brook, Louis and Niall.

"What has happened?" I asked in a hoarse voice.

"There was a shooting at the club and you were hit by a bullet." Louis explained to me. "The doctors operated on you to remove the bullet. You're out of the woods, man." He added, smirking.

Suddenly it came back to me. I was pulled over as I walked out of my office. I remembered lying on the floor, resting a hand on my wound as best I could. No one was around. I was alone, and I was only thinking of one thing: hearing Aspen's voice. I remembered calling her, but she had declined my call. I couldn't blame her. She didn't know what was going on. But, at that moment, I would have given everything to tell her that I loved her one last time when I thought I was on the verge of death.

"How are you feeling?" Brook asked me, sitting in an armchair by the bed.

"Alive." I laughed, which made her smile softly.

I was surprised to see Brook at my bedside. I last saw her a week ago and she was mad at me. She was literally screaming at me. It was the same day I last saw Aspen.

I scanned the room. Liam was not there. Aspen neither. But I hadn't heard from her in a week and she had declined my calls both times so I didn't expect her to be there. Even though I hoped she was there.

"Where's Liam?" I asked, panicking.My breathing was fast and irregular as I imagined horror scenarios in my head.

He was with us at The Register. He was there during the shooting. Why wasn't he in the room with the others? Was he shot too? That would explain why Brook is in the hospital. But if Brook isn't at Liam's bedside... Does that mean he's dead?

"He went to get Aspen. They should arrive soon, the doctors have signed her release paper-." Niall started without thinking about what he was saying, interrupted by a nudge from Louis.

"What do you mean, Aspen is in the hospital?" I cried. I hadn't heard from her in a week or so, but I would have expected someone to tell me if anything had happened to her. We may each be taking some time on our side right now, but she's still my friend as far as I know. "Why hasn't anyone told me?" I exclaimed.

"It happened immediately after the shooting. We quickly left for the club when Liam told me about the shooting. It was there that she started having a stomach ache and blood loss and passed out." Brook explained to me. "But she's got nothing, she's awake and she's doing fine so don't worry about her."

I nodded gently, letting her think she reassured me, but no. Even though she was fine, I couldn't help but wonder what caused it, why it happened.

"Does it hurt?" Niall asked, which knocked me out of my mind.

"He got shot, what do you think stupid?" Louis answered immediately, slapping him on the back of the head. "We should do the test on him someday." He added, laying his gaze on me.

Me and Brook laughed as Niall complained, putting his hand on the back of his head. The atmosphere had relaxed. I had stretched out. Niall always had a silly comment to make. Sometimes I wish he'd shut up, but at that point I was glad he said it. It made me laugh a little.