Chapter 16

Harry
Age 10.

I was coming home. The sun had set a few hours ago. It was getting late. I wasn't used to coming home so late. I stayed at Louis' house longer than I thought I would. Louis's parents were finishing work late that evening so me and the boys took the opportunity to spend the evening at his house. I didn't want to come home, even though my father was now in jail. It was all my fault.

In my father's office there was a book that looked super interesting. One morning, I quickly put it in my backpack before going to school. My teacher thought my book sounded interesting too. She borrowed it from me to leaf through it and found drugs hidden inside. When the police asked me about the book I told them it belonged to my father. Coming back from school, I saw police officers pull my father in the back of their car, handcuffed. They arrested him for drug trafficking and drug possession. I have never seen my father since, but I will never forget the look he gave me. He hated me, even more than he hated me at first.

I was hurrying home. My mother was worried. I hadn't warned her that I was spending the evening at Louis's with Niall and Liam. I was afraid she wouldn't let me go. It was Liam's mother who told me that my mother wondered where I was. Me and Liam left together. His house is on the way to mine. When we arrived in front of his house, his mother was sitting on the porch drinking tea. It was then that she told me that my mother had called her an hour ago, asking her if she knew where I was.

I rode my bike through the streets of my neighborhood. Usually it's pretty quiet in the area. You could literally hear the sound of crickets and fireflies, but not tonight. I could hear the sound of sirens nearby which is quite unusual.

I turned the corner to my street to see fire trucks, police cars and ambulances. The last time I saw police cars near my house was when they took my father away, but it's been several months since that. I was really curious to know what could be going on with my neighbors. I walked a few yards before realizing that the action was happening at home. My bike kept going down the slope of my street, but I couldn't move. My house had burned down.

I suddenly stopped in front of it, looking at it completely demolished. I was looking for my mother and my sister. I wanted to apologize to my mother for worrying her. Yet she was nowhere. I couldn't see her. I couldn't find her. A police officer quietly approached me. I was not afraid of him. He didn't look mean.

"What are you doing here, Big Guy?" The police officer asked me, now near me.

I gazed at my house. In fact, what used to be my house.

"It's my house. I live here." I said anxiously. "Do you know where my mother and my sister are? They should be-" I added, continuing to look for them when something caught my eye.

Two black zipped bags the size of human bodies. I knew immediately who was in these bags. My eyes instantly filled with tears.

The policeman followed my gaze with his. It ends up landing on the two body bags.

"I am sorry..." He said in a broken voice.

"No, no, no, no"

I collapsed in tears in the officer's arms. I was crying so much that I couldn't breathe.

I had just lost the two most important people in my life, the only people who really mattered. I was alone, abandoned. I was so angry with myself. If only I had been there. I might have been able to save them, prevent all of that. My mother died worried about me. Eva and she died without me being able to say goodbye to them. Without being able to tell them how much I love them. I never really told them. I have never been good at expressing my feelings. They died without knowing how much I love them with all my heart. Without knowing how grateful I am for all that they have done for me, for all the times they have helped me, protected me, defended me...

I would have preferred to be with them. I would probably be dead too, but I wouldn't have had to live alone in this cruel world, without the two people who protected me from it.

I couldn't believe this was all real. I was sure it was a nightmare.

A nightmare which I never woke up from.

__________________

A chapter shorter than usual, but essential to understand the rest of the story and the character of Harry.

Next chapter will be longer I promise;)

Don't forget to vote and to comment!
Love y'all.