Chapter 34*

WARNING
This chapter contains sexual content.

________________________

Harry

The rare number of times that I did actual grocery shopping was starting to catch up with me. I was standing in front of a display, not knowing which item to choose. Aspen had given me a simple task, yet it was so complex. She had asked me to come and get some flour while she was choosing the fruits and vegetables.

There were so many kinds of flour; wheat flour, rye flour, almond flour, oatmeal. I had no idea what Aspen wanted me to choose. It's way too complicated.

Aspen had the brilliant idea of ​​hanging out with her in the grocery store this morning. She has been telling me for several weeks that we should do some big grocery shopping to fill my pantry with essentials that she says I don't have. In all fairness, I would have used my Sunday morning to do something else, for example absolutely nothing. But as usual, I couldn't resist my Angel so here I was, unable to choose which variety of flours to buy.

I finally opted for all-purpose white flour, finding myself ridiculous for spending so much time in that aisle only to come out with a bag of flour.

I walked into the grocery store, a bag of flour in my hand, looking for the little blond angel who is actually my girlfriend. After several minutes of walking the aisles of the grocery store, I found Aspen in line to pay at the checkout. To think that she had had time to make the entire shopping when I just picked out a bag of flour. She was talking to a man in his fifties who was waiting in line next to hers. I had a strange sense of déjà vu seeing this man, but I couldn't tell under what circumstances I had seen him before. Aspen laid eyes on me as I walked towards her. I immediately saw his discomfort in his eyes.

"Harry, this is Connor, Matthew's father." She was looking me straight in the eye, making me understand to keep my calm and pretend nothing had happened.

I shook the man's hand. We stared at each other for a long time, straight in the eyes. I could see he knew who I was, wearing I had no idea where I had seen this man before. I wrapped my arm around Aspen's waist. I couldn't replace this man, but I knew I couldn't trust this man. Besides, if I'm basing it on his son, he better stay away from Aspen.

Me and Aspen went through the checkout, which was painful as Aspen refused to let me pay. She finally gave in, grumbling slightly which made me smile. She may be stubborn, but this time around I wasn't going to let go, I'm not going to let her pay for it all.

Aspen regained her good humor soon after, as we put the bags away in the trunk of the car. I told her about my mishap with the flour which made her laugh. She finally understood why I had taken so long to take a simple bag of flour.

"Aspen." Said a male voice behind us.

Connor, the father of the man I despised most in the world, had come back to talk to Aspen. Instinctively, I moved closer to her. I absolutely did not trust this man.

"I wanted to thank you for visiting Matt at the rehab center. You know, he felt good to see you." He finally added.

I turned my gaze to Aspen, speechless. I couldn't believe she really did this without even telling me about it. Yet her body language confirmed to me that Connor was telling the truth. Aspen was frozen. All the muscles in his body were tight. I couldn't even tell if she was breathing or not. Obviously this is something she wanted to hide from me. And that's what made me angry the most.

"It was a pleasure to see you again, Aspen." He smiled before heading to his car.

Aspen turned to me, gazing downcast. "Harry, I-."