Chapter 27

Aspen Reid

I was leaning against the doorframe of the bedroom, a cup of coffee in my hand. When we got back from the graveyard, Harry went back to bed. He fell asleep as soon as his head landed on the pillow. He hadn't slept all night. He was exhausted. I'd been watching over him for a few hours now, making sure he didn't have this goddamn nightmare again. He was sleeping peacefully, his arms wrapped around his pillow. I liked to think he imagined it was me instead of the pillow. I had a smile on my face just thinking about it. He seemed peaceful for once. It had been a while since I had seen him sleep like this. It reassured me, I sincerely hoped that all these nightmares were gone for good. I took a sip of my much needed coffee. I didn't sleep very well that night either. I would have liked to go lie down next to Harry but I had planned something else today.

I heard the front door open and then close. My head snapped back at the sound of footsteps coming closer behind me. It was Louis and Niall, as I thought.

"Why did you call us?" Niall asked as he and Louis approached me.

Niall immediately stopped speaking when I motioned to him to whisper. Louis raised an eyebrow, then came to stand next to me as Niall slid his head through the doorframe. The two saw Harry in a deep sleep.

"Is it for him that you asked us to come?" Louis whispered before resting his gaze on me.

I nodded before motioning for them to follow me. We walked out of the house through the back door, settling into the yard to make sure we didn't wake Harry.

In the backyard, there were two small couches, one across from the other. Niall rushed over to sit comfortably on one of them, resting his feet on the coffee table. Louis sat down next to him, his elbows resting on his knees, as I sat down facing them. What's going on with him? Louis asked, referring to Harry, who was still sleeping soundly at 2 pm.

"He keeps having nightmares." I replied.

Niall glanced at Louis, as if he knew he was thinking the same thing as him. Louis rested his head in the palm of his hand, visibly overwhelmed.

"This is not the first time this has happened, am I wrong?"

Louis looked up at me sadly. He nodded, approving of what I was saying. I sighed in grief, knowing that Harry was used to living with these nightmares.

"Did he tell you what was going on in his nightmare?" Niall asked me seriously, which surprised me. I didn't even know Niall was capable of being serious.

"He didn't tell me clearly, but he told me he was attending the night where, you know, I got ..." I started playing with my hands, nervous. I looked up at Niall and Louis who were nodding, understanding what I was talking about. "He also spoke of flames and his father's voice circling in his head." I ended up saying.

Niall nodded in discouragement as Louis seemed afraid to speak. Louis and Niall looked at each other uncertainly and hesitant.

"Listen guys, I know he hasn't told me everything and I'm not asking you to tell me." I say before taking a break. I swallowed the lump I had in my throat. I dreaded their reaction to the request I was about to make. My hands were sweaty and my heart was pounding fast in my chest. But I had to do it, for Harry.

"I would like you to help me find the cause of the fire." I end by saying.

I analyzed their reaction. The two looked at me speechless.

"I am not an expert in psychology, but he considers himself guilty of the death of his mother and his sister. I know no investigation has been done on the fire, but if we are able to find the cause of the fire, maybe that could help him, right?" I continued.