𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟑𝟎 { Spoken Promises }

Start from the beginning

"Run it again, this time I want AJ on point." Coach wrote a few words down in his clipboard as Ezra and AJ swapped places.

It's been like this for a while now. The captain position was still up for grabs and AJ and I have been fighting for it every single practice. He ran 60 yards, I ran 70. I bench pressed 190, he did 220.

There was no doubt Ezra wasn't a fan of our competitive nature, warning that one of us would get hurt but I couldn't let the team's future fall into AJ's hand. That would be like handing a baby to an mentally unstable person. 

"They gonna be watching us all practice, Coach." Ezra asked, stepping to the side.

"Watching us?" I question, confused.

"Yeah the newsp-

Ezra doesn't get to finish as my head practically does 180 towards the stands only to find the newspaper club along with Mrs. Rayes spread out in the first couple rows. It didn't even occur to me they would be here but that doesn't matter right now because the one person I wanted to see all day was just a couple yards away.

Sage was seated smack in the middle up front unlike the last time she was at one of our games. For the first time I felt the nerves crawl up my neck at the sight of her watching me.

"Stop staring, idiot." Ezra laughed in my ear while smacking my helmet.

"I-I'm not." I grumble finally letting my gaze leave the stands. Practice was almost over and I hadn't realized until now we had an audience. "When did they get here?"

"I noticed them halfway through. You're girl was practically drooling over me for the past hour." Ezra jokes and the words your girl made my heart swell in pride even though they weren't as true as I wanted them to be.

"She would never." I choose to admit, letting a small smile greet my lips as we lock eyes for the second time.

Sage mouths hi as we lock eyes and I see the girl with pink beside her say a few words which makes her blush and look back down before I can respond.

"Yes they'll be here for the next few weeks along with some recruits. Now you two can fawn over girls after my practice, get in position." Coach gave us a blank stare, indicating he was serious.

AJ jogs up on the field after saying a few words to Coach he seemed to agree with. I tried my best to ignore it but a gut feeling was telling me this captain position was easily his if I didn't start going back to those counseling sessions.

I get into position waiting for AJ to make the call and when he finally does I scope the field, assessing his every move. He jogs backwards and to my left as a few of the guys block my vision. I find a semi clearing just for it to happen again. Frustration began to settle in as every sense in my body heightened. I could see AJ's jersey, but not where his hand was pointing. I could smell the worn out turf underneath my nose, my hands swipe past my own uniform as it stuck to me like a second skin.

I run further down towards an open area but it's too late because the ball falls into Dwight's hand and not a second later he gets tackled to the ground by a teammate of ours wearing the opposing colors.

I immediately snatch my helmet off and head towards an already displeased looking AJ who knows it's best to just shut up and listen.