𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟑𝟎 { Spoken Promises }

Start from the beginning

I stop in the middle of the ring to catch my breath and finish whatever unwanted conversation we're having.

"I'm not sure what you mean."

"The punching bag." He glances over at it still untouched and barely perforated.

I see the singular black and white punching bag hanging from the wall as a couple of guys surround it, getting ready to give it a couple of rounds.

Usually I'd be there all morning with headphones listening to music on the highest setting. It kept my mind busy therefore giving me something useful to take my anger out on. Each punch to the bag released something in me that I didn't like to show.

I didn't go straight to the punching bag like I usually do

"Wasn't feeling it today."

"When's the last time you weren't feeling it?" He asks, swiping his towel across his forehead. This idiot knows me to well. "You use the bag to cope with your anger and that only tells me for once it's not too out of control that you need to destroy our equipment. It's progress Zach. You're making progress and no matter how small it's still a step in the right direction."

I try not to react in the way he wants me to. But with Miles looking at me all sincere and shit I stupidly bring my arms around the idiot and hug him. He doesn't hesitate to return the hug and pats my back twice firmly. It's one of those interactions you don't want but really need.

Guilt soon runs through me because although Miles was boasting about my progress I haven't returned to counseling since that day I hurt Sage. It was eating me alive every single time I thought about it because no amount of sorrys could take away the hurt that I caused.

At that moment I knew we looked weirdly out of place as two very sweaty guys embraced each other in the middle of a boxing ring but I couldn't care less.

"You're hugging me?" I feel the smirk coming off his face.

"Don't ruin it," I add.

"And he's back." Miles chuckles.

"You down for another round." I say pulling away just in time for Ezra to come back into the room.

He looks at the clock on the wall as if he just remembered something important. "Shit. I can't, gotta run, but you're telling me all about what happened last night once I get home."

"Plans at this time of day? Now who's keeping secrets." I glance at him before taking a sip of water from my bottle.

He takes off his signature gloves with Brias name embroidered on it and throws it into his gym bag pretending as if he didn't hear me.

"You won't tell me unless I tell you." I sigh as he finally looks back in my direction.

"Ding ding ding."

**

The ball falls into my hands seamlessly for the third time in a row as I run into the end zone for our first practice this week. The crisp fall wind runs back and forth through my hair and clenched teeth as my adrenaline skyrocketed.

We had a game this Friday and for once I didn't feel unprepared. Ezra was back in shape from his injury a couple weeks back and I was finally back in some sort of normal headspace.