𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟐𝟔 { The Brink of Death }

Depuis le début

I managed to make my way back to the front of the house where I last saw the kitchen occupied with a group of girls taking jell-o shots.

"Thank you freaking god. Zach! Zach, over here." A familiar high pitched voice yelled from the door stopping me in my tracks. I couldn't see Victoria due to the two guys leaning on the door frame blocking my view entirely.

"You know this chick, Stone?" Jaxon, co captain of the basketball team, asked me, still blocking my view as I walked up behind them. Jaxon tried out for the football team freshman year but figured out quickly that this wasn't his type of sport. When he quit the guys gave him hell but throughout that we remained mutual throughout the whole situation and now he's one of Syracuse's star athletes.

"Yeah, let her in man."

I wasn't at liberty to be inviting others in, especially since this was a party for the ball team but getting Victoria in was my last option at figuring out how she was doing.

As I expected he started to move over when the dude standing beside him I didn't recognize interrupts.

"Pretty sure parties at capacity." He cocks his head to the side while waiting for my reaction. "You do know what means right?" I'm trying my best to maintain my composure but these days it's getting harder to, especially when I'm on edge about a certain person.

"And who the hell are you?"

"Mason and you." He replied, while extending his right hand forward.

I ignore the hand which he soon drops. "Vic's my plus one and you need to move out the way Jason."

"And if I don't." He says stepping closer to me. At this point people were starting to stare and causing a scene wasn't exactly on my agenda for tonight.

"Guys, guys, guys. What's all the commotion? We're at a party, not a pickup street fight." Carter says putting both arms on his teammates shoulders.

Of course Carter would be here, it's his house and he's fully sober like he is at all parties, which is supposed to be a relief but at the same time puts an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"Stone says she's his plus one."

"A freshman Stone.You definitely pick them well." Carter's gaze falls upon Vic and lingers on places free of clothing, which is pretty much anywhere her mini skirt and crop top isn't covering.

"Excuse me," Vic emphasized, crossing her arms. Her voice is more serious than playful and I can tell Carter definitely made her uncomfortable, which she refused to let him see a glimpse of.

"Vic, we should just leave if they won't let us in."

My eyes instantly shot to the fiery woman walking up the steps to the front door. With each step the dark green silk dress moves with the sway of her hips. The face I hadn't seen up close in almost a month is now in front of me, sparkling with light makeup and a hint of glitter.

Something about her was different. I couldn't pinpoint it out yet but I know I would soon enough.

Her golden red hair is slicked back into the neatest ponytail, allowing me to see every expression on her face once her eyes lock with mine.

"No, I'm Miles plus one and you're mine. But this idiot won't answer his phone." Vic argued back, refusing to leave.

"Sage, what a surprise." Carter removes his arms from the guys and opens the door wider, which makes me visible to them both. I can see Vic grimace slightly because Sage wasn't aware I was on the opposite end of the door.

"Chase, you're the host. I had no idea." She reveals, smiling brightly. He goes in for a hug and to my surprise she obliges. When she sees me watching the smile on her face drops slightly and go back to normal once she pulls away.  I make no move to let my gaze wander from her face and down to the outfit that's driving me absolutely crazy.