Regression

(Mentions of the kink community- nothing serious)

Regression is/can be a type of therapy. It can be useful in many ways, but it is completely non-sexual. The regression community is separate from the kink community because of this. D(M)DL(B)G is a part of the kink community or BDSM community. Which, in short, is a consensual exchange of power where the submissive will act more childlike while the dominant acts as the caregiver of sorts for sexual pleasure.

(End of kink mention)

However, regression is separate from this because it is a non-sexual form of hypnosis/therapy/self-help tool. Regression can be done alone or with someone else. This person does NOT have to be in a romantic relationship with the regressor. It can be a family member, friend, or even perhaps a significant other. However, the regressor does not regress as a form of sexual gratification and instead regresses as a coping mechanism, self-help tool, etc.

There are different types of regression. Age regression and pet regression. Before I explain what they are, I should explain that the regressor does not have to be both. An age regressor can age regress and not pet regress. A pet regressor can pet regress and not age regress. I just felt that needed to be mentioned.

Age Regression

Some consider it a defense mechanism, and others believe it to be a positive experience to get rid of stress. Both theories have their own separate beliefs. These are not only the most common but are well-known among psychiatrists. Age Regression is when someone regresses or retreats into a younger state of mind. They mentally regress, NOT physically. Some use it to cope with trauma or as a self-help tool. The regressor can go as far back as infancy or even just a few years younger than their physical age.

Going back to when I stated that age regression is completely non-sexual, I would also like to mention that this is a minor-friendly community because it is non-sexual.

Pet Regression

Pet regression involves animals. Although this form of regression is not often thought of as regression because people believe since the regressor was never an animal they can't regress to that state. However, many regressors explain that this is a form of regression.

Some believe that in a past life, they were an animal of some sort and were reincarnated as a human, which allows them to regress to a past life they had. Another way it has been explained is that it is more of an inner personality or core of one's being kind of thing. However, regardless of belief, this is another form of regression. This is also sometimes compared to being critter hearted.

Pet Regression is when someone regresses into an animal or pet. Again, they mentally regress, NOT physically. The regressor can regress to any animal, mythical or real. They can regress into a reptile, bird, dog, cat, pig, cow, bunny, etc. This is, again, completely non-sexual. Pet regression and pet play are separate.

If they were the same, then they would have the same name and definition. (Not meant to sound rude.)