Chapter 22 - Ghost from the Past

Callista wound up back on the Havoc Marauder

Her body was pressed into the back right corner of the tiny closet at the back of the ship, knees drawn up with her arms wrapped around them. She had her face buried in her arms and was chastising herself for reacting so emotionally. So much for trying to appear tough.

As much as Callista wanted to be alone, it was obvious the Bad Batch would come looking for her - Crosshair, Tech, and Wrecker had seen her run out of the room and she'd ignored when they shouted after her.

Callista heard the boys enter the ship and internally groaned that they managed to lower the ramp so quickly(she'd locked it before hiding in the closet).

Their footsteps drew nearer to her hiding spot and Callista held on to the tiniest bit of hope that they'd somehow miss this closet, but when they stopped in front of the door she knew that wouldn't happen.

"She's in there." Hunter said. Curse his tracking abilities.

"Should we knock?" Wrecker asked.

"How should I know?" Hunter snapped, having never been in this situation.

"There's no need to knock, she probably can hear us." Tech said matter-of-factly. He's right, none of them were being particularly quiet. And Crosshair seemed to think along the same lines because he spoke - more like yelled - next.

"Of course she can, di'kut!"

"There's no need for name calling Crosshair, I was just pointing out that Callista could hear our conversation, and if not she definitely heard you yell." Tech retorted.

Callista heard someone sigh loudly - most likely it was Hunter - before there was a light knock on the door.

"Uh Calli? I-Its Hunter. Why don't you come out and we can talk?" He asked in the nicest tone he could.

Callista remained quiet, but that didn't deter the Sargeant. He huffed. Since asking nicely didn't work, he changed tactics.

"If you don't come out willingly, I'll have Wrecker drag you out." He threatened, and Callista scoffed, thinking he wouldn't dare.

Hunter heard her and glared at the door.

Fine, we'll do this the hard way.

He silently stepped away from the door while motioning with his head for Wrecker to get Calli.

"This should be interesting." Crosshair muttered as he and Tech stepped back to give Wrecker room. The door was opened and Wrecker stepped in.

"H-Hey! Get away!" Callista shouted.

Wrecker emerged from the closet with Callista thrown over his shoulder.

"Put. Me. Down!" Callista yelled but Wrecker shook his head.