Chapter 20 - Together again

Once the Havoc Marauder was in hyperspace and they were safe, Hunter walked out of the cockpit into the main part of the ship and went to open the box Calli was in. Wrecker had already removed the lid though, but stepped aside so Hunter could look at the girl.

She hadn't awoken yet after being stunned and Hunter was thankful for that - he couldn't imagine what her reaction might have been if she had. His thoughts went back to earlier when Calli had lost it and his chest tightened at the memory of her begging him to not hurt her, then anger sparked within him. Whatever the Kaminoans had done to her clearly traumatized the poor girl and for a second he considered having Tech turn the ship around so they could go back to Kamino and he'd teach the Kaminoans a lesson - preferably using his blaster or vibroblade.

Pushing those violent thoughts aside, Hunter focused on Calli's curled up form and decided it might be better to move her somewhere more comfortable. He immediately thought about the bunks, but since she was unconscious and without a proper right foot she couldn't climb up to occupy the one she had before. Hunter supposed she could lay down on hers, but first asked Crosshair (who'd been standing off to the side while watching the Sergeant closely) to replace the sheets with the one from the top bunk - he can't remember the last time he'd washed his.

Crosshair did so with Wrecker's help and to Hunter's surprise the sniper didn't complain. Once they had, Hunter scooped Calli's limp form and carefully placed her onto the bunk, afraid he might break her because she looked so fragile.

Not ten seconds after Calli had been put down and the oxygen mask was removed, everyone noticed her beginning to stir. Her eyes opened slowly and her forehead wrinkled as she blinked a few times, not recognizing where she was. Realizing she was in a foreign place her eyes widened and she sat up quickly while frantically looking around. Her gaze settled on Hunter, Wrecker, and Crosshair and her panic morphed into confusion. To Hunter's relief Calli didn't have a glazed look in her eyes, which hopefully meant she was more in control of her mind and wouldn't freak out like earlier.

"Hey Scar, good to see ya." Wrecker said while she looked at the three of them - trying to process what the heck was happening.

Tech walked out from the cockpit looking down at his datapad.

"I just received a message from Commander Cody. He said they'd be a bit delayed but will still meet us at the rendezvous point as soon as they can." Hearing no response from his brothers, Tech looked up and saw them all staring at Callista, who was no longer unconscious, "Oh, you're awake." He stated with a small smile that Callista didn't return. Instead anger sparked in her eyes as it registered what Tech said and thanks to her own brilliant mind that rivaled his she had a good idea of what the Bad Batch had planned. Only she didn't seem thankful.

"Why are you doing this?" Callista questioned in a low voice with an edge to it that didn't go unnoticed by the four clones who shared wary looks, unsure how to respond.

"Uh, doing what?" Wrecker asked, confused by her hostile demeanor. Shouldn't she be thankful that they rescued her again?

"Why would you get me off Kamino?" Wrecker blinked and glanced at his brothers who all wore similar looks of confusion before looking back at the girl.

"We couldn't just let the Kaminoans experiment on you!" Wrecker exclaimed, thinking it should be obvious.

"So what, you just decided to bust me out." Callista said and when the four clones nodded she threw her hands in frustration at their stupidity, "Did you even think of the repercussions if you get caught?"

Crosshair went from being confused to annoyed over her lack of appreciation and stepped closer to the bunk while glaring.

"I thought you'd be more thankful that we got you off Kamino." He said coolly and Callista matched his glare with one of her own while gritting her teeth as her anger over everything bubbled over and caused her to speak without thinking.