C H A P T E R 6 1

— • —

Chapter 61: The Final War, Part 4

"Be careful, Gege," Wu Qingge cautioned, his hands reaching out to steady Liu Xiao as they navigated the treacherous terrain of the crumbling chamber.

Despite Wu Qingge's warning, Liu Xiao remained lost in thought, his mind consumed by the revelations his grandfather had shared about their tragic demise. It turns out that the old palace master was a shallow and selfish person who only wanted to rise to the highest place and use countless innocent lives as a stepping stone to climb up. How outrageous, he thought.

You are strong and known enough, and just because people ridiculed you about the Falae Legend of the Sea King, you're going to kill them by opening the underworld gate and letting the demon king escape?! Much worse, countless innocent people did nothing to you! How low is the IQ of this old man villain?!

If you are weak, then become stronger! If you do not know, then study! If you don't look good like others, then let it be! What good is being drowned in envy? Being insecure just because there's a flaw in yourself that others don't see is just nonsensical.

When I was back in my mortal world, my mother would always compare me to my brothers and cousins in terms of their bodies, achievements, and looks, but so what?! Does it mean that I have to change for the better too? For people to like me? Such nonsense. Even if my parents want to throw me in the river so badly, I won't care about them.

And that's when I found novels. Novels are the only therapy I have in this cruel reality, and they were the only thing that taught me things that I didn't understand. When I found the novel "The Black Book," it was the first time I found a protagonist so perfect to the point that even if his parents were to see him for who he is right now, they would end up speechless because he shines brighter than the others.

Wu Qingge was strong, handsome, smart, kind, hardworking, and many more things you will discover about him that make him even more perfect. He was the most peerless of them all. The incomparable protagonist in the novels that I have read. The scars he received from the past will make him even stronger, and the nasty words of the people who always mocked him brought them their own demise. If you weren't able to be like the best protagonist like him, then at least be the best version of yourself.

That's what the original "Liu Xiao" should have planted in his mindset on the day that he met Wu Qingge back at Mount Hua Peak. Insecurities can drive people mad, but it is because you let yourself drown in them that it was all your fault in the first place. If what your mindset is all about is "I wish I could be like this" or "I wish I could be like that," then change it to "I will make myself like this" or "I will make myself like that." Don't just wish to achieve things you don't have; work hard to achieve them because remaining envious doesn't solve anything.

Haha... But I'm not that kind of person. I'm lazy as fuck. I'm fine as myself, so I don't need to change for the better. I don't feel insecure about other people either way. It's fine to just look at them from afar and stare at them secretly.

Liu Xiao realized that he was staring at Wu Qingge all the time and immediately looked away and cleared his throat. Wu Qingge stared at him with a grin on his face and said, "Gege."

"Mmn?"

"Am I that handsome?"

Liu Xiao glanced at him with a deadpan face. "Yeah, you are."

Wu Qingge grinned even more. "Really?"

"Yes."

"Gege, you're not lying?"