C H A P T E R 3 0

— • —

Chapter 30: Tian Shou Mountain

(Tian Shou means heavenly beast in Chinese.)

"Why isn't Liu Xiao with you? Has something happened to him?" Mo Xian inquired, his brow furrowing and his breath quickening.

"Master, please remain calm. Liu Xiao mentioned he had some matters to attend to and would return later to explain," Chen Yi reassured, moving closer to her master to soothe him.

Mo Xian exhaled deeply and settled into his bamboo chair. Chen Yi, standing beside him, prepared a cup of tea and offered it to him. Accepting the tea with a nod of thanks, Mo Xian took a sip before speaking again. "How did the mission in Ghost Town go? Was anyone injured?"

Chen Yi served herself some tea as well, took a sip, and then seated herself in the bamboo chair opposite Mo Xian before responding, "Master, the truth is we've failed once more."

"Failing is acceptable. I will never reprimand you for that. You and your team have given your all, and that's what truly counts. We shouldn't dwell solely on outcomes," Mo Xian said gently.

"The demon cult was nowhere to be found. It was only the heavenly demon and its minions that remained in Ghost Town. Brother Liu Xiao... uh..." Chen Yi paused to clear her throat before continuing, "Brother Liu Xiao captured the heavenly demon and has made it his pet. He says that the demon cult leader intends to gather all the underworld gates and merge them."

Mo Xian took a moment to consider this information, then sighed deeply with a troubled expression. "This is concerning. Merging underworld gates could be perilous; it might drain all spiritual energy and life from this place. I must inform the Floating Palace Master of this development. Chen Yi, remain here and oversee Mount Hua Peak," Mo Xian directed.

"I will heed Master's command," Chen Yi responded, rising to her feet with a slight bow and clasping her hands together. Mo Xian offered a smile and a pat on the head before donning his second layer of white robes and exiting his quarters.

Liu Xiao seized the final petite biscuit from the table and consumed it before departing the carriage. He furrowed his brow and cocked his head, surveying their new surroundings with curiosity. Grasping Wu Qingge's attention, he gently tugged at the hem of his dark crimson robe and inquired, "Why have we come to Tian Shou Mountain?"

A faint smile played upon Wu Qingge's lips as his gaze settled on Liu Xiao's visage, marked by confusion, and he paused at the emblem on his forehead. Compelled, he reached out to touch it tenderly. Liu Xiao did not show any sign of discomfort; however, his face still sought an explanation from Wu Qingge, who replied, "Gege will understand once we venture inside."

Wu Qingge extended his hand, intending to guide Liu Xiao by clasping his hands, yet Liu Xiao hesitated. Instead, he clutched the cuff of Wu Qingge's sleeve and mustered a forced smile. Without comment, Wu Qingge proceeded towards the mountain.

Similar to Shen Hua Mountain, Tian Shou Mountain was encased in a barrier that enveloped visitors in a dense concentration of pure spiritual qi upon entry. Unlike Shen Hua Mountain, this barrier did not conceal any deceptive traps. Cultivators were welcomed here to hone their abilities and fortify their spiritual qi through combat with mystical beasts, taming them as mounts or companions for battle.

The mountain exuded no malevolence or trace of demonic energy; it was suffused with purity and warmth from the spiritual qi within. This qi originated from the mystical beasts that feasted on the mountain's refined spiritual essence, which they then exhaled as an even purer form of spiritual qi.