C H A P T E R 4 9

— • —

Chapter 49: The Sea Kings of the Ocean, Part 1

After the gods had bestowed a mystical guardian to protect the ocean, they came upon the sight of a deceased octopus, seahorse, and shark all at once. It struck them that the sea serpent might feel lonely in its solitary duty to safeguard the waters. Moved by empathy, they bestowed upon these fallen creatures powers of their own and pledged their unwavering loyalty to serve and stand alongside the sea serpent for all time.

This tale originated from an elderly traveler who roamed the world, sharing stories with wide-eyed children in various towns. The youngsters would listen in rapt wonder as the old sage spun his tales, dubbing the trio the Sea Kings of the Ocean—a name that would eventually become legend as the story passed down through the ages.

Yet, whether the Sea Kings of the Ocean were real or merely the product of fanciful storytelling remained a mystery. Despite the curiosity of countless nobles who set sail in search of them, none returned with evidence of their existence, leaving disappointment in their wake.

Upon their return, these nobles dismissed the legend as nothing more than a whimsical tale spun by passing wanderers to captivate the imaginations of impressionable youth. Over time, the legend faded into obscurity, relegated to the realm of children's bedtime stories told by storytellers eking out a living.

Little did anyone anticipate that, after millennia, the Sea Kings of the Ocean would manifest before their very eyes. Bai Lan and Lan Yang stood transfixed, while Chen Yi and Shan Ling were struck dumb with a mixture of awe and terror. Meanwhile, Liu Xiao's jaw hung agape as he beheld the colossal Sea Kings.

These creatures dwarfed even the gold dragon he and Wu Qingge had faced; each one seemed the size of three imperial palaces merged into one. Their immense presence was enough to send a mere wave of the octopus's tentacle hurtling them thirty miles apart.

Liu Xiao couldn't shake the sense of impending doom as he watched, certain that another strike from the octopus would crush them like insignificant bugs. After millennia of absence, why had they chosen this moment to reveal themselves?

Are they tainted with demonic energy? But I think not; instead, it seems pure and clean... This is bad... Chen Yi and the others are now terrified to think about anything. Just imagine yourself inside the attack of the Titans! We are not Levi or Mikasa! These creatures don't even have a nape to begin with! How are we going to kill them?!

Chen Yi had crafted an impeccable plan that was flawlessly conceived and executed. Yet, the revelation of the Sea Kings of the Ocean threw her clear mind into disarray, freezing her operating brain as she stared in disbelief at the colossal octopus writhing its tentacles in the distance.

The force of the Sea Kings' onslaught had sent them reeling, and any attempt to resume sailing risked drawing the octopus's ire once more. The barrier, already weakened by the creature's earlier assault, now sported a daunting crack, and their reserves of spiritual qi were dangerously depleted from their previous battle, leaving them with scant time to recover.

To regain her composure, Chen Yi gripped Shan Ling's trembling hand tightly, offering words of reassurance in a bid to calm her fearful companion. But even her own facade of calm cracked under the weight of their predicament.

As the gigantic octopus emitted a deafening shriek, two more colossal figures emerged: a towering green sea horse and a massive white shark, their awe-inspiring presence striking terror and reverence in equal measure.

Bai Lan and Lan Yang remained rooted to the spot, transfixed by the majesty of the Sea Kings, while Shan Ling's resolve crumbled, tears streaming down her face as she sought solace in Chen Yi's arms. Despite her own overwhelming fear, Chen Yi strove to maintain a facade of calm, offering what reassurance she could muster.