34

Draco hated the amount of homework he had. He had not really noticed how much homework teachers tended to assign students until he was forced to do several weeks worth of homework in less than two weeks. He had stayed mostly in Uncle Sev's room, and he did not dare move out, not yet. Uncle Sev was quite lenient with this, mostly because they both knew what would happen if he did not, and should Draco get behind on his studies due to this situation on top of everything else that had already happened. As such, nobody in Slytherin, or the other houses, was aware that Draco was back. Not yet. Draco had something planned. It took quite a lot of planning, but his return to Hogwarts needed to be as dramatic as possible. Partially because while he did not inherit much from the Black family line, he did inherit their flair for the dramatic. It was not that he had to, more or less, it was more that he wanted it. Severus figured that given the traumatic upcoming events, Draco deserved this, furthermore, he knew Lucius was be further pleased should Draco terrify the entire student body in one dramatic moment, and the more things that the two of them to pacify Lucius' untameable rage whilst he was in azkaban the better they were likely to be able to get out of the upcoming reunion without having to visit St. Mungos. 

Furthermore, as a fellow Slytherin, he did understand, at least partially. As a Family Heir, it was important that Draco follow certain traditions. This was more for the drama part than anything else, a sort of sadistic gesture to see how the other houses, specifically Slytherin, and even more specifically Blaise, would deal with his return. He understood the practicality. The Magical world had been informed that Draco Malfoy was not going to return to Hogwarts for at least half the year. Now,  a quarter of the way through and here the young Slytherin Prince was, awaiting his crown, waiting to take back his spot. 

It was not just that, however. As a Professor, Severus understood that it would be much easier for Draco to get his previous homework done by the time the first Exams came when he was not being pestered by pressing classes and due dates, and students wanting to talk to him, wanting to catch up, wanting to have conversation and talk. As such, it was far more beneficial to allow Draco to stay in his office for the time being. He knew that it would only be this way until his first exams came, but Severus was also enjoying the one on one company that he got to have with his godson. He and Draco often did not have much time to really spend together. Both of them too pressed with things that they needed to do. Now, he got to really spend more time with Draco, and it was wonderful. He got to really see Draco, and to learn a bit about him. Something he had to be quite grateful for. 

"Uncle Sev, is everything prepared?" Draco questioned him when the day came. Severus had already turned in his homework, and by some miracle Draco was able to finish everything. Though he swore that he better get some descent sweets as a reward, something which Severus had been swift to supply with a quick run to the kitchens. He could have just called the House Elves to his room, but he had needed to visit with McGonagall as well, and so the walk had been good. Furthermore, it allowed him to really clear his head. Something that he had been needing. He was more than happy to have plenty of time to spend with his godson, but he was also needing of time alone, something that he was getting in far less measures at the moment considering Draco needed to stay hidden from the rest of the school. 

"Yes, I have everything prepared for your first exams." Severus said simply, placing the tray down on the table in front of Draco. Draco hummed, taking one of the suckers and unwrapping it, placing it in his mouth and humming around the candy. 

"I cannot wait to see the look on everyone's faces." He muttered. "What about the Slytherins? Have they suspected anything awry?" Draco wondered, keeping Severus in his view to keep an eye on his reactions. 

"No, though many have repeatedly expressed concern for your well being and whether or not you are safe." Draco nodded thoughtfully at that. This was good information to have. It showed that not everyone was so taken with Blaise's plan in the first place. 

He knew that he was invaluable to Slytherin. He was their Prince, quite literally. It was a title that the Malfoy's had held for a long time, even when Tom had graced the halls of Hogwarts, he was known as the Heir, not the Prince. Not that there was much of a difference in Draco's own opinion. They were basically the same thing. Oh, he knew that an Heir meant taking up the mantel inevitably, whilst the Prince merely meant portrayal of those traits perfectly. However, it did not stop his amusement at the fact.

Yet another reason why Blaise needed to be punished for his wayward behavior. He had gone against what Draco had expressly told him to do, and if he did not punish such behavior, well, who knew what would happen next. He needed to show everyone that such things are not to be tolerated. That he would not tolerate others undermining his authority. Whether Blaise had meant to do so or not, it had still happened. 

Before, he had been too much of a mess, a mix of emotions and fear to really think about these things. The time in the Veela Realm had not been great but he had managed to get his priorities in order at the very least. He was now ready. He would not allow Blaise to be seen as some sort of savior, and have others begin questioning his authority. 

Father would not be happy should he find that out, and Draco was beginning to realize that he needed to assert his authority far better. Much like his father had always warned him.

It would hurt him. Blaise was his friend. Yet...He needed to show that even friends should not cross the boundaries and orders that Draco gave them. He was a Malfoy. 

It was time others remembered that.