3: Hope

----------

----------

"Y/N, you keep staring at the new girl that you keep missing the food on your fork." said a bemused Pansy from beside her, Draco squinting his eyes slightly to check who his sister got her eyes on.

"Oh Pierce, hm?" said Draco with a nod of his head. "Pure-blood, good looking, bit friendly with mudbloods like Granger but she's alright." he said approvingly.

"Speaking of Granger, she just can't take her eyes off you, Y/N." Pansy pointed out with a snicker as her words seemed to have snapped the platinum-haired girl out of her trance.

"She can stare all she wants, I don't care about filth like her." said Y/N with a shrug, acting unbothered but this piece of information seemed to have intrigued her. "Besides, who would choose her over Pierce?"

"You would." claimed Pansy. Godric, call her a major Y/N and Hermione shipper.

"Pansy, I love you but I swear I'm gonna murder you with this piece of sausage if you don't shut up."

"Ooh someone's getting defensive." snickered Pansy in almost a sing-song voice. "Y/N has got a thing for— mph!"

The rest of her words were muffled due to the fact that the platinum-haired haired girl shoved a piece of sausage in her mouth, a scowl on her rather pale face.

"I swear to Salazar— Katherine!" said Y/N as the dark haired girl walked up to them. "What're you doing here?" she questioned casually, quickly stomping harshly on her brothers foot as he looked like he was about to burst from laughter.

"Just wanted to invite you to sit with me at the Gryffindor table." said Katherine with a shrug. "Saved you a seat, just in case."

"Of course." smiled Y/N as she stood up and started to make her way to the Gryffindor table with Katherine, glancing back at her brother and Pansy, giving them a wink and her usual smug smirk, the two of them only rolling their eyes playfully in response.

She turned her head back and was a bit hesitant as she realised the seat that Katherine saved for her was the one on front of the familiar bushy haired girl.

"Hey, Har." said Y/N to the raven-haired boy who smiled back at her as she sat down. "Weasley." she said, her voice now rather cold, the red-haired boy didn't respond, as she expected obviously. She turned her head and was immediately met with the pair of honey-brown eyes.

"Hey." said Y/N, looking away almost at once.

"Oh— hello." responded a taken aback yet rather pleased Hermione, her voice coming out much more excited and bright than she wanted to.

Hermione's POV

I can't stop thinking about what changed. It was so good in the beginning. She showed me affection, cared about me, listened to me ramble about my whole day, reassured me. It's been a year now and I still can't get over it!

I knew that I was once her favourite girl, the centre of her attention. But now? I'm here watching her converse with my friend the exact same way she used to converse with me. Her grin and the sparkle in her eyes remained, but I wasn't the one recieving it.

I can't get mad, because she's obviously not mine. I can't get jealous, because we aren't committed. It's not cheating, because we aren't dating. What am I even thinking?!

I shouldn't care because she's nothing but a stranger, why the bloody hell do I even bother? Why do I break my own heart? And why am I not the one laughing with her?!

It's supposed to be me. It was supposed to. Katherine doesn't know her like I do, she doesn't see Y/N the way I do, she doesn't know the way Y/N's hair shines in the sun, or the way her grey eyes sparkled at night.

This is completely ridiculous. But who am I kidding? I want to be hers.

"How do you like your tea?" asked Katherine, standing up slightly to offer the platinum-haired girl tea.

"I like my tea how I like my men." said Y/N without thinking, biting down her bottom lip, praying to Merlin that no one would understand.

"Hot?" snickered Katherine.

"She doesn't like tea." said Hermione suddenly with slightly raised eyebrows, feeling amused at the look on Y/N's face, her lips curling into a small grin.

"You didn't have to out me like that, you know." said Y/N with a playful pout, letting out a huff, the bushy haired girl tilting her head to the side slightly, her arms crossed over her chest as she sent the girl a challenging look.

And before she knew it, she went into a fit of giggles, soon followed by a hesitant Y/N, a sense of familiarity washing over them as they shared their usual grin, their giggles and laughter soon died away as their expression changed into an unfamiliar longing.

"I could say the same." queried Katherine quickly, her eyebrows raised, catching the platinum-haired girls attention once more to Hermione's displeasure. "Bit lucky for you, If I say so do myself." she said with a smirk.

And that was when Hermione felt like just another girl, her hopes crushed, wishing that she had a time-turner to repeat the same scene over and over again.

----------