6: Three Words

----------

----------

Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment and held it at arm's length, so that he could read it by the light of the flames, which had turned back to blue-white.

"The champion for Durmstrang," he read, in a strong, clear voice, "will be Viktor Krum. "

Y/N saw Viktor Krum rise from their table and walk to the front, but he stopped at the Gryffindor table for a second to give Hermione a kiss on the cheek, to Y/N's displeasure.

"You're gonna break your goblet with that grip of yours." snickered Pansy from beside her. "Don't fuss over it, you do realise Granger's head over heels for you." she pointed out.

"I have no clue on what you're talking about, you already know that I don't even bother with her existence." countered Y/N, though her eyes were shooting dagger at Krum.

"You're unbelievable." sighed Pansy.

The clapping and chatting died down. Now everyone's attention was focused again on the goblet, which, seconds later, turned red once more. A second piece of parchment shot out of it, propelled by the flames.

"The champion for Beauxbatons," said Dumbledore, "is Fleur Delacour!"

"It's the veela." said Draco in awe, clapping with the rest of the Beauxbatons lot.

When Fleur Delacour too had vanished into the side chamber, silence fell again, but this time it was a silence so stiff with excitement you could almost taste it. The Hogwarts champion next...

And the Goblet of Fire turned red once more; sparks showered out of it; the tongue of flame shot high into the air, and from its tip Dumbledore pulled the third piece of parchment.

"The Hogwarts champion," he called, "is Cedric Diggory!"

"Oh." exclaimed Y/N with a mild surprise expression on her face, giving a polite applause for Hufflepuff's Golden Boy. "Not bad." she nodded approvingly.

"Excellent!" Dumbledore called happily as at last the tumult died down. "Well, we now have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real -"

But Dumbledore suddenly stopped speaking, and it was apparent to everybody what had distracted him.

The fire in the goblet had just turned red again. Sparks were flying out of it. A long flame shot suddenly into the air, and borne upon it was another piece of parchment.

Automatically, it seemed, Dumbledore reached out a long hand and seized the parchment. He held it out and stared at the name written upon it. There was a long pause, during which Dumbledore stared at the slip in his hands, and everyone in the room stared at Dumbledore. And then Dumbledore cleared his throat and read out -

"Y/N Malfoy."

Silence. That's all there was in the Great Hall. And to Y/N's bewilderment, she instinctively immediately locked eyes with the girl in the Gryffindor table. It was like those old days when they would share sweet glances at eachother from across the room, but there was nothing sweet here.

Hermione's expression was nothing but anxious, her eyebrows were furrowed in suspicion, her mouth slightly parted in shock.

I didn't do it. Mouthed Y/N.

All Hermione needed was to see the genuine worried look etched upon the platinum-haired girls pale face to believe her. She simply gave her a fleeting thumbs up and a crooked grin.

I believe you. She mouthed back, and with slight hesitation, she was about to mouth the three words she's been longing to say to Y/N, her mouth already going dry.

I love you.

But the platinum-haired girl was already long gone.

----------

Sorry for the short & boring chapter, I promise the drama starts right after this one and it'll be published in less than an hour <3