My Heart

~~~~Mira~~~~

The pain in my chest was increasing by the second. Mama's eyes were wide when she looked at me, but I was more focused on the cut on her side. It was bleeding a green liquid and gave off a sinister sensation. Mama pressed her hand on her side, some of the green liquid staining her hand, but she looked down at the glowing Failsafe on her chest.

It was flickering from blue to a sickening green. A sign from both her and myself that Etheria was being attacked on the surface. And its life was fading fast.

"Mira.... You didn't...." Mama gasped at me, looking down at my chest.

I looked down as well, seeing the exact same marking of the Failsafe glowing on my chest. My secret was out. I had taken the Heart.

Mama and I didn't have a chance to argue as the creature standing over us shrieked and growled, about to attack us with its long green tentacles. But just before it could do anything to us, we heard a scream coming form above. We looked up and saw Mom scratching the creature before she landed in front of us. The creature was pushed back against the wall and shattered the wall it landed on.

"Hey, Adora, kitten." Mom said smiling.

"Catra! You can't be here. It's too dangerous." Mama warned, her voice weak from the poison of the cut. She tried to stand up but she was too weak, however, before she fell and before I could try to help her, a pair of gloved hands grabbed Mama before I could.

I stepped back, seeing Shadow Weaver holding my mother up on her feet.

"Shadow Weaver?" Mama questioned.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, still a bit angry at the witch for her past actions.

Mom jumped away from the creature and slid in front of us.

"Get Adora and Mira to the Heart. I'll hold this thing off." She said.

"Catra, no!" Mama shouted.

"We can't leave you here, Mom!" I shouted.

"I'll catch up, okay? Get to the Heart." 

Without another word, Shadow Weaver pushed us towards the entry hall leading to the Heart.

"No, no. Catra!" Mama shouted, but we were still being pushed down the hall. But then she looked down at me, seeing the pain etched on my face.

"Mira, why do you have the Failsafe?" She asked. I stayed quiet for a moment, clutching the cloth over my chest as the Failsafe I carried turned from blue to purple to green.

"It's because I am the Queen."

~~~~Adora~~~~

"It's because I am the Queen." My daughter answered, pain and sadness written all over her face, which made me feel even worse than before.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

Mira began to tear up, "Because I am directly connected to Etheria, no matter who takes the Failsafe, it will always come to me. What you have, Mama, is only a small fraction of the Failsafe. When you took it, most of its code broke apart from you and transferred to me, bonding with my soul. All you have to do when we get to the Heart is transfer the rest of the code to me" She looked up at me and smile with tears streaming down her cheeks, "Even though it hurts, this is what I have to pay to be Queen. To save everyone."

I was shocked. My daughter took most of the Failsafe, and if I felt this much pain from it, just how much was she feeling right now?

How much pain did this war put my daughter through that she refuses to show?