Chapter 3

Every Saturday Morning, the Bae sisters would go to Ddliem; the middle of town to go buy something that would interest them, for Irene it was books, for Suzy it was Paints and Canvas.

Their carriage arrived at Ddliem and the sisters part ways to buy on their respective wishes. Irene went straight to the bookstore and looked for newly arrived books on the shelves. As she examine the books she heard a familiar voice that she was not sure whom it belonged to. She ignored it and continued examining the books, and contemplated whether to read light novels or not.

"What a fair sight--I mean light, light novels. Do you have interest on such?"

The owner of the voice appeared at her side and when she discovered who it is she was left in a state if shock. Irene forgot to answer when she saw the woman that was occupying her mind lately.

"I-I was contemplating on reading or not"

"I suggest you do, books are books"

"Indeed"

"It might be strange to ask, but have we met?"

"Oh, yes. I believe we have, at the day of the ball, in the garden to be specific"

"Now, I remember. How dare I forget such beauty"

Irene felt her stomach twist from what she heard, she cannot help but smile on the woman beside her.

"Irene" said Irene as she offer a handshake.

"Lalisa" replied she and accepted Irene's offer.

Their hands remained for seconds, but for Irene it felt like hours. The feeling of electricity jolted on her body by the mere touch of hands but she was brave enough not to remove the physical contact they have.

They stared on each other longer than they have thought, examining each others faces like it was a piece of art displayed on a museum. Irene's smile never left her face and so is the latter, they felt like they were on their own world lost on each others gazes, and those very gaze wrote their fate.

Irene cursed the Gods above when they were interrupted by Lisa's brother. Bambam stared at their hands but the both of them were unbothered on what he has witnessed.

"Sister, our carriage has arrived. We must make haste for our mother was already looking for us" said Bambam and left the bookstore

The two withdrew their hands and smiled at each other once again.

"Do you suggest any light novel I should read on?" asked Irene

"Ah, this one" said Lisa and she took a book from the shelf "I recommend"

"Expect no less, I will be taking this"

"I am sure you would be delighted, it is impressive"

They stood their for seconds not knowing what to utter, therefore Lisa bid her goodbye to Irene, but before she left she asked her a question that Irene have been wanting her to ask.

"Will I see you here every Saturday morning?"

Irene nodded as a response to the question and they once again bid goodbyes.

Irene was lost on her own thought again, clearly not believing what just happened. She left the bookstore with the light novel she bought that was recommended by a dear friend, yes, she have considered Lisa as her dear friend. A dear friend who she wants to spend her time with; to have tea and read books as a leisure.

She arrived at their carriage and was faced by her sister who was visibly impatient and bored.

"Where have you been sister? Usually, it is you who arrive at the carriage first. I am no fond of staring at blank spaces but you are, and what is wrong with that face of yours? I have never seen your smile reach your ear" said Suzy who has no trouble on breathing when she said those words hastily.

Irene's smile changed into frown when she realized what her sister said, did I smile like that on the way here? She asked herself, the people must have seen me smiling, it is a rare sight.

"I was not aware, need not to worry you will never see me like that again"

"What is there to worry about dear sister?" cried she "It is a lovely sight and for sure anyone who have witnessed you must have fallen inlove"

"God forbid"

On their way home the sisters talked about anything that reached their minds. They laughed and even talk about the matter that their dear mother was forcing Irene to.

"It has been nearly two years since I saw father" said Suzy

"Ah, it nearly slipped my mind. Thank you for reminding me, I was to write letter for him regarding mother and her schemes. I am sure she has no will to stop"

"She sure does not"

"Oh, I shall say this to you. I have seen the Manobal's a while ago, when you were most probably still on the bookstore. The star of the gossip was there and I cannot deny her aura is insatiable"

Irene's mind has stopped and has no idea on how to reply on Suzy's statement. She was contemplating whether to tell her that they have talked or introduced themselves to each other, not mention that they have agreed to meet again. After a seconds of mentally debating, Irene thought that it is best not to mention anything.

Their carriage stopped and the two sisters went out, walking to their respective rooms Irene flopped on her bed when she reached hers. She groaned and flipped, for she has no idea what she feels and what to feel, her emotions are all mixed up, her mother want her to get married, and she has kept a secret on her sister again.

She stood up and decided that her staying on the bed won't fix anything, she went to her table and took her pen and a piece of paper to write to her father. After carefully writing to her father, Irene folded the paper neatly and put it inside the envelope, she stamped it with liquid wax and wrote the address and her father's name at the back of the envelope. She then went down and looked for the butler so he could send it to his father.

"Irene, how are you my dear?" she was greeted by her mother on her way back to her room

"I have no energy to argue with you mother"

"Oh, have you eaten lunch? Come with me quick" said her mother "If you do not wish to argue follow me"

Irene who had no choice followed her mother and was once again greeted by a guest, but it was no stranger.

"Mother, what schemes do you have?" Irene gritted her teeth and whispered to her mother when she saw the guest.

"Need not to worry dear, Mr. Manobal or shall I say Bambam just want to engage on a conversation. No scheme under the table"

Mrs Bae left the two on the table and Irene felt obliged to sit in front of him.

"It won't be long Ms Bae, I will only say a few words" said Bambam as he reached for the tea that Mrs Bae offered.

"You shall start then"

"I want-- no, I need you to stay away from my sister"

"I am in no obligation to follow your orders"

"Believe it or not but it is for your own sake Ms Bae" said he

"What sake do you mean? We merely talked"

"Yes, you merely talked. But I can see it in your gaze that it is much more than talking, you know nothing about my sister. If you have no desire of people condemning you and your family I suggest you stay away from her"

"I cannot judge nor accept your wish, but I assure you, I am in no need of your protecting, I can handle myself just fine"

"So you do not deny?"

"I do not agree neither"

"With that, I wish you well" said he and stood up "I just hope you do not arrive at the day where you regret not to listen on my words"

"Shall I see you out?"

"There is no need" said Bambam and left

Irene remained seated and thought about what Bambam had said. How can I regret a circumstance that has not happened yet?