Chapter 2

A day after the ball. The group of friends decided to meet in the afternoon to have some tea.

"Spill the tea" said Jisoo.

"Where did you get such language?" asked Rosé while enjoying herself on a piece of croissant.

"I am Kim Jisoo, that alone is enough reason"

"Forgive my sister, for that is who she is" replied Jennie.

"Well, Spill the tea Suzy. What else have you heard on the party?" said Joy who just imitated Jisoo's language. Meanwhile the latter seemed a little proud.

"Actually, I just heard a glimpse of their conversation, for I was not allowed to join on the adults. I merely listened, but what I heard are juicy ones"

Not wanting to interrupt her from talking, everyone was invested including Irene and they waited for her to continue the story.

"They were more likely compelled to move out, since the people there was in fear of acquiring her disease, the family or shall I say Manobal's were condemned and was not allowed to go near the people and enter establishments"

"That is absurd and barbaric" said Irene who is not meaning to say it ouloud, she immediately covered her mouth and gestured Suzy to continue.

"Said the person who have no interest. But to continue my story this woman, was not present on the ball since her family is in fear that she may spread the disease!"

Irene who have seen and talked to the woman believed that it is no disease that she carries. She understood that it is not something contagious for she have seen the woman and even engaged on a conversation. After that, she does not feel ill at all.

"It must be lies" said Irene "I do not believe it is something contagious, people condemn what their minds cannot comprehend"

"How can you say so?" asked Joy

Not wanting to reveal that she have seen and talked to the woman, Irene dodges the question answering Joy that she just do.

"Whatever could it be, I'd rather be cautious and not go near that person" said Suzy then grabbed the remaining croissant that was mostly eaten by Rosé

"I believe Irene is right" said Jisoo "It is rather a feeling than a disease. It is not something we cannot acquire through physical touch"

Irene nodded and silently agreed on Jisoo.

"You just said something sensible sister, I admire you for that" said Jennie

"I always say something sensible sister, you just dare not to listen" replied Jisoo.

"In your case, you are fortunate to have one that uses mouth to talk whether it is rational or not. Whilst my sister here only thought it is for eating" said Joy who glances at her sister busy minding her own business.

Their afternoon tea was done and each one of them decided that it is time to go home. Each sisters part ways and Irene with her sister Suzy went home and was surprised with an unexpected guess that arrived.

Their mother Mrs. Bae was ecstatic and high spirited when she saw that Irene was back. They at sat the dining area to have dinner with this guess who Irene had a not so good feeling with, but she chose to ignore it. As the supper has started the guess keeps glancing at Irene and Irene felt very uncomfortable, so she'd chose not to make any eye contact with the stranger and remain her posture.

Whilst eating her mother introduced the guess who is a young man and 'well off' said she.

"Bogum Park" said her mother "Is the son of a friend of mine back in the days"

Her mother continued bragging about the achievements of Bogum as if it is his own son. Bogum on the other hand appeared shy but boastful of his accomplishments, he'd smile and nod but also correct Mrs Bae if she get to say the wrong details. Irene, who feels that the conversation will not end up well stood up and decided that she was done with dinner.

"Remain to be seated Irene, for I will announce something"

Irene who felt a little distressed still sat down at the dining table and looked at her sister to beg for help. Suzy who was naive and has no idea what is going on, continued eating.

After their dine, Mrs Bae stood up and cleared her throat to say something.

"Suzy, come with me" said she, Suzy stood up and left with her mother leaving Irene and Bogum in the dining room alone.

"Ms Bae, or dare I say Irene" said he "I will be very pleased if you would to accept my offer to be my wife" he stood straight and showed confidence but it was immediately changed when he received an answer.

"I have not yet to understand why? I am in possession of great fortune and your future will be secure, not to mention my charming aura" said Bogum.

Irene who was about to scoff remained in her posture, elegant and sophisticated as she is. She cannot believe what she just heard.

"I myself is a Bae who is in a possession of what you so called a great fortune and a charming aura, I am in no need to marry if that is the bases of eloping"

"Your mother has agreed, we made a deal!"

"My mother maybe has, but have you talked to my father? Even if he'd agree, I dare to say it now. I will never be yours"

"I have not, but once he agree I will prove you wrong and you shall be prepared to be mine!"

Bogum left hastily and her mother and sister who was on the other side of the door listening on their conversation was shocked when it opened.

"Irene, how dare you turn down that gentleman's offer!" said her mother who was clearly enraged.

"Have you heard what he said? Oh, I am sure you have"

"Still, you can never find a man like that. He came from a great family, you know it is my wish for my daughters to be married"

"I will get marry when I am ready, if you force me I will rebel!"

"How dare you say that, tell me, do you fancy anyone that you have turned down such a fine man?"

"I do not!"

"You have been rejecting offers, if you do not find one, I will!"

"Clearly, there is no need to shout" said Suzy who was trying to disrupt the rhthym of raging emotions "We can talk about this in a well mannered way, the woman that we are"

"I appreciate your gesture sister, but there is no need to talk for my decision is final" said Irene and hastily left the both of them.

Anger filled her emotions, she does not want to elope without her permission. The basis of marriage should be love so it would last. A mere fortune and charm can vanish in an instant. Sitting in front of her vanity mirror as she prepare herself to sleep she remembered what her mother asked 'tell me, do you fancy anyone that you have turned down such a fine man?' Her mind unconsciously slipped on the day of the ball when she met the lady on the garden, although the conversation was short she smiled when she remembered them talking, but it was then erased when she saw her reflection at the mirror.

"Am I in danger?" she asked herself.