She left the pillar and lost her balance but Kendrick caught her in time.

"Easy, easy."

"Kendrick. I'm looking for Kendrick," she managed to say, her eyes shutting every now and then. Kenneth wasn't even sure she knew who she was speaking to.

"Ken is not at home," he told her, still holding onto her shoulders because it didn't seem like she could stand on her own. "What's the problem? Why are you looking for him?"

"Ke-"

She was about to say something but that was it. She shut her eyes and lost control of her muscles as she collapsed fully into Kenneth's arms.

• • •

Confused would be an understatement to describe the man speeding past the streets of Newland Estate at 11 PM with a teenage girl in the back seat while he simultaneously tried to reach his son on the phone.

Kenneth didn't even know where he was driving to because one: he didn't know where she lived and he didn't know her parents, neither did he have their contact.

Two: Kendrick who was at least supposed to have an idea of her address wasn't reachable. He tried their mother's number, the same thing.

He tried to calm himself down but occasionally glancing at the unconscious girl in the backseat wasn't helping matters. He'd tried everything an inexperienced person as himself could to resuscitate her but it was as fruitless as his efforts to wake up early every morning.

He was very sure he was driving like a mad man but that was the least of his worries at that moment.

His phone began ringing and for a second he was delighted that it was probably Kendrick calling back but he was disappointed when he saw the caller ID.

Not now.

First ring. Second ring. Third ring, he just had to pick the call.

He swiped the green button and let the callers voices fill the car from the Bluetooth speakers.

"Kanayo," the deep, familiar and eerily voice called, oozing command and control.

Kenneth breathed out. "Mr. Aloysius."

"My house, now," he ordered with a tone of finality.

"Sir, I'm sorry but there's an emer-"

The loud beep had cut him off. Of course, he wouldn't want to hear Kenneth's excuse. He didn't give a damn.

Kenneth slammed his right hand against his steering wheel in anger. He was already approaching the estate gates. Why now?

He glanced at the lifeless-looking girl through the rearview mirror.

"God, why?" he mumbled under his breath.

He had no choice, did he? He could only pray she would not die or anything. That's if she wasn't already. His freedom-and probably his life and that of his family's as well-was at stake.

But then, Esther?

Kenneth slammed his fist on the steering wheel again. Fuck it.

In one swift, expertise movement, his car was going in the opposite direction, back into the estate.

The streets were empty and that made it easy for him to speed up even more. He had to be quick. He would just go and find out what the devil incarnate wanted and rush Esther to the hospital afterwards.

In no time, he was in the upper ring again, honing loudly in front of the gate to the Mr. Aloysius's mansion. The automatic gates opened and he drove in immediately.