Chapter 40 - Back Lash

The scared most likely new male recruits playing police officer, shoots at me, then the other joins. They both try to empty their magazines into me, the rounds actively bounce and crumple against my armor to then hear a grunt then a scream. The MPs stop shooting, I look over, and Daniel is on the ground screaming holding her leg.

I panic, I then tell Mark to quickly pull my bag off and for us to quickly try to perform field surgery. But before he could grab the pack, I disengage the power armor and hop out the back, mixing up the order in which to grab the backpack. I see Blaire stand between us and the guards.

As the base alarm had gone off due to gunfire within the compound, the base was on lockdown. Mark handed me my backpack as other MPs ran over with rifles at ready, backed by power armor units. I look over at Daniel to see if she was okay.

"Them! They started this, they were try'n to desert, then threaten' us en' then talked all hostile like, so when reachen' for their gun, we defended ourselves! Isn't that right?" The First Sergeant says while looking at the MPs who shot at me. The horrified-looking MPs just nodded and said 'yea'.

I looked over Daniel, it hit the left side of her Combat armor thigh cover. Pulling it off, I had to pull her pants down a bit to see. I then sighed in relief as there was no penetration. The bullet that hit her must have ricocheted metal off of my armor, and into her hip, though it left a purple welt. I pulled her pants back up. Her light pink panties were cute though.

  I stood up, I stormed over to the First Sergeant, I grabbed her by the chest plate clasp and pulled her front down. "What the FUCK is wrong with you!? You almost wounded 1 of your own! You ordered your MPs to open fire on an empty-handed officer! To top that off, I AM A WARRANT OFFICER! We are the unit that was sent for forwarding observation into Trinity!"

The woman in power armor pushed me off, I bumped into Mark who handed me my WO patch, to show it off. "See, I expect respect and punishment for this behavior!" I speak out as a crowd just starts to gather with weapons in hand.

The black-haired woman then says "Give that! Ya stole et!" But as I pull my hand away, her hand turns into a fist and is used to smash into my stomach.

Blaire rushes over with sword drawn, as I back up then I collapse to the dirt, throwing up my last meal.

"Non- Aggravated Assault of an officer is deemed for capital punishment." Blaire says with her stance changed to something I haven't seen before with a sword.

I felt Daniel rubbing my back as I was coughing up mucus and trying to breathe. I haven't felt like this since some of the roughhousing and CQC training I did in the vault. I take a stand and pant while slouching over, regaining my senses. Tears run from my eyes as mucus from the corners of my mouth. I felt like my stomach was churned. I had to use the bathroom all of a sudden as well.

"MPs, arrest these troopers, we will interrogate them!" The First Sergeant in power armor says with more force in her voice.

As I told Blaire to stand down as we could explain things better to someone else who wasn't close-minded. On saying this, the woman in power armor picked me up by the base of my hair then held me close to the MPs. "Arres' this li'l trouble maker, NOW!" She shouted.

The MPs did as told this time; they held my hands behind my back and cuffed my wrists together. It didn't hurt as the woman at least had the curiously to wad my hair at the base, but was uncomfortable for the neck. As that was done, she threw me aside to the feet of soldiers that gathered around to view the drama. The woman in power armor then looked to walk over to Daniel next.

I cough as I'm winded a bit, still recovering from the punch to the gut. I roll over as the troopers' feet I landed at, backed up and made a path. upside down from my perspective while panting, I see men in the fear-bringing Advanced Power Armor armed with M72 Gauss rifles walked towards us. Captain Fischer wearing the same suit of APA as well, without the helmet, armed with a 14mm pistol in hand.

  Captain Fischer walks into the crowd of troopers quickly looking around the situation. The woman with black hair in power armor that threw me to the ground stands at attention. While the MPs move in to arrest Daniel and then Mark and Blaire.

"Hello again Captain, just need to get back to base, and miss-ile complete. But I ama bit held up right now." I say in a meager-ish withered tone.

The Cpt. Then looks around at everyone. "All troopers, return to your duties before I assign PT, half of the MPs here, return to patrol. That's an order." The crowd of troopers run off at full speed in a sprint.

1 of the MPs helps me up on my knees then my feet, then walks me over to the others that have been restrained.

"First Sergeant Elishia, report, now." The Cpt. Says in a very calm but forced tone. His guards then take a step away from him giving him room. I cough as my small V in my ribs hurt from being roughed up.

FSGT. Elishia spoke up immediately, "Sir, I caugh' them spi's tryin' to pass off as travelers, but with full gear. No 1 should really have but military persons. I found it peculiar, so I confronted 'em, then they grew hostile, this made me ordered for their arres' for not cooperat'n, sir."

"Understood, they will be processed by Advanced Guard if they are spies. Return to your post, First Sergeant." The Captain ordered and concluded before pulling his radio. As Elishia walked off with a smug corner smile, the Captain was talking into his radio. "Requesting Times One, Advance Guard Unit to South Eastern Entrance, Over."

  Captain Fischer looks at me and then Daniel. "What's going up? Why is one of my FSGT's saying you're spies?" He asks calmly.

I look over at the 2 young MPs that were there from the beginning. "You guys want to pitch in? You were here for most of it, even shot at me." I say in a queezing voice as I was still a bit winded.

Fischer turns to look at them. "Huh? They shot at you? But you're unarmed. And no 1 in this unit seems to be injured." He says in a confusing tone.

Daniel speaks up in a rough bumpy voice as if she was on the edge of crying. "N.no! I was hurt! A bullet bounced off Lynne's armor and hit me in the leg!" Daniel then gave a slight whiney moan.

"Okay... First, tell me what you're doing here and remind me who you are. Do it before the Advanced Guards get here to pull you to holding" The Captain requests.

"I'm Warrant Officer Lynnette, I'm the defector from the Southern Idaho Enclave, I came from Vault 31, which they haven't taken yet. I wasn't sure who was in the right in this war, so I was let to go travel up to Trinity to be guarded by 2 people as a VIP transport job, to also run as forward scouts for the rest of the force.

But, I was taken back in by the Enclave and allowed to sit in their war plan meetings. While there I discovered their interests, how they want to treat people and mutants. But, waiting for the main force, I overstayed my welcome at the Enclave FOB and was told to get lost as I was National Guard, not Army. So, here I am, trying to return to Battle Mountain Air Base to report their plans."

The Captain in his 7ft power armor sighs as if he's given up on trying. "God. Damn it."