Part 41 : The Unseen

AKATSUKI

The dark cavern was enormous. So large, broken stalactites would take a dozen seconds to reach the dry and stony bed. The resulting crash would echo unendingly throughout the large cave. Not a drop of water or whirring of insects as nine members gathered upon the enormous fingertips of two stone hands. The shadowy, wispy figures stood before an immensely large and demonic statue that was at the heart of their plans. The mummified giant with wooden-like spikes protruding from its back looked down with its nine closed eyes at the group discussing their latest inconvenience.

Through the cold stale air, Sasori asks, "any word on Itachi? It's been days now."

"He's either dead or fled," Deidara cheerfully answered, his smile easily registering with everyone.

Kisame couldn't keep himself from promising the group with aggravated finality, "if he's not dead, I'll kill him myself."

With an even temperament, Pain asks their expert locater, "have you located him?"

"He's still in Fire Country," Zetsu began. "I found his ring, but no body."

"So, he's returned home," Pain reasoned.

Zetsu begins to inform the group, "our spies haven't made any mention-" only to be interrupted by the hunched-over shadow.

"Itachi knows our networks, strategies, and most of our plans," Sasori said with an unnaturally mechanical voice. "He must be dealt with."

Kisame was quick to assert, "I'll be there in two days-"

"No," their leader commanded.

Kisame turns to the spiral-eyed shadow with flexed shoulders, making him appear more imposing, as he snarled, "I made him a promise; if he ever betrayed us—betrayed me—I'd kill him." Huffing in restrained anger, he punctuated his oath by exclaiming, "I'm a man of my word."

The nefarious Kakuzu chuckled before asking in mocking, "since when have sharks been men?"

With a threatening edge, Kisame returned to the humored undead, "the dead should stay dead,"

"Enough," Pain voiced with more irritation than typical. "Itachi's absence changes nothing. He will die soon." Turning to Kisame, he attests, "there's a task you're much more suited to. A task we're all much more suited to. Gathering the Jinchūriki."

"It's about fucking time," Hidan exclaimed.

"Isn't it too soon," Konan asked Pain.

"Not soon enough, I say," the sickle-carrying member confessed with a huff. "All these small fry make the worst tribute to Jashin."

Konan couldn't help reminding the gathering, "we don't have everything in place. Securing spies, safe-houses, infrastructure, and equipment throughout the countries requires more funds than we currently possess. At our current pace, we're two to three years before commencing."

Though silent, none seem contemplative. It's as if they only seemed more eager to begin, and Pain echoes this sentiment in the large dark chamber. "A group of this caliber can make do without a safety net, Konan."

"Besides," Deidara chimes in. "Once we have all the weapons, every country'll be all too eager to pay our security fees to keep from being annihilated."

She turned to the young shinobi and hotly contested, "that's not what Akatsuki stands for-" But was smoothly interrupted by her long-time friend.

"Konan, enough," Pain asserted. "We're accelerating our timetable. Anything else we need, we'll acquire on the spot; by force, if need be." A few chuckle at the comment before Pain conveys with hefty authority, "gather your assigned Bijū. Hidan, Kakuzu, begin with the seven-tails. Deidara, Sasori, start with the three-tails. Kisame, you alone will be more than enough for the five-tails. Tobi, capture the three-tails."