Part 20 : Heaven and Earth

NARUTO

"Well, team, we've got our work cut out for us and it's a ton of stuff to do, but there's no way in hell we're takin' five days to do it," Naruto shouts out to the dozen spiky-haired blonds in front of him. "Luckily for us, we can be in a lot of places at once," Naruto continues pacing with his hands behind his back like a general. Just inside of Gate 12, two members of Team 7 are waiting on the third and his dozen clones before beginning their treacherous journey to the tower at the center of the Forest of Death.

"Yeah!" The platoon of Narutos holler back as Sasuke and Sakura are forced to watch from several paces away. Though Sasuke wanted to rush right in, Naruto insisted they wait so he can set up several safeguards. Even without Sakura's vote of support, Sasuke seems to begrudgingly agree.

"Even though we've decided not to change too much," Naruto continues, confident Sasuke and Sakura wouldn't understand what that truly meant. "We're definitely not going to let those evil bastards take whatever they want. We aren't letting the worst happen!"

"Damn right we aren't, boss!" one Naruto calls and they all holler in exuberant unity.

"I know we know all this already," Naruto asserts with his dozen clones. "I have to stay with my teammates, but, we all got our tasks. Keep an eye on Gaara. I don't think he's far from our gate. Hopefully, we can learn something that might help us show him how genuine we are-"

"I still don't get why we don't just tell him we're One & Nine," a Naruto asks to the annoyed groans of others. The exchange makes Naruto wonder why his clones can act like different parts of himself at the same time.

"Are you almost done," Sasuke calls irately, to which one of Naruto's clones yells back, "hey, we're having a conversation here, teme!" "So rude," another clone adds and they all hum in agreement, annoying Sasuke to no end.

The real Naruto turns to his waiting teammates a few paces away and informs them, "just gimme a minute." Turning back to his platoon of clones, Naruto reminds them of Naru-nii's justification. "Nii-chan said true friends don't need excuses. Gaara'll believe us when he sees we really mean it and I agree. We're the type to prove our words through action and that's what we're going to do!"

"You're so wise, boss!"

"Aww, thanks you guys," Naruto smiles bashfully.

"Naruto," Sakura calls. "We should really get moving. I already heard screaming."

Her voice is the deep cutting reminder of their heart's unyielding pain and all the Narutos groan or grip the ache at their chest. One even yells, "this is the worst pain ever! Someone pop me!" When another asks, "can we leave, boss? We already know what to do," Naruto answers with a nod, adding, "yeah, sure. Watch out for the other Konoha teams as well as Kabuto. The second any of you see a snake, you know what to do. Let's make Nii-chan proud!"

"Ossu!" they all yell before all but one clone leaves.

KURENAI

Drinking her tea while Kakashi, Genma, Asuma, Yūgao, and Hayate discuss likely outcomes of the second test, Kurenai can't help but wonder about her genin and Naruto. The Jōnin were waiting in noshery on the seventh floor of the tower at the center of Training Ground 44. The Jōnin-sensei of other teams also wait for any word of their students; whether positive or negative. It goes without saying, any Jōnin-sensei asked to leave before the completion of the second test means their students have failed or died, and urges her thoughts to repeatedly hover around Naruto.

'He's been so down,' Kurenai mentally observes for the hundredth time since Haruno-chan's final rejection of him. 'And why wouldn't he be,' she mentally asserts, recalling their consoling nights sleeping in each other's arms without actual intercourse. He didn't mention the details, but Kurenai acutely understands his depression and couldn't help holding him physically and emotionally, constantly assuring him everything was going to be alright.