"Come on." Maia said as Rue was finished getting dressed. She took her moms hands and walked with her through the woods so they were back in her back yard.

Maia gave her daughter a kiss on the forehead before going back inside the house, leaving the three of them alone.

"You wanna explain to me what the hell just happened?" Rue demanded

"Basically the legends are real and we can turn into wolves." Embry laughed.

"Yeah, that doesn't help me much, I'm gonna need a little more detail."

Sam went on to explain how the Quileutes were descended from wolves and how they were the protectors of the tribe. He told her that only certain members of the tribe carry the genes and the ones that do with eventually shift when an enemy is near. That enemy, he explained were "the cold ones", the vampires. Which Rue thought was absolutely ridiculous, but realized that she could turn into a giant wolf so vampires were very much reasonable.

"So is this why you quit talking to us?" Rue turned to Embry.

Embry nodded slowly, "I couldn't."

"And you won't be able to either," Sam said.

Rue whipped her head around, "what?"

"I know, but it's for their safety, you won't be able to control your anger, and I don't need you shifting in the middle of school because Quil or Jacob accidentally pushed you too far."

Rue scoffed, "so what, I'm just not allowed to talk to them?"

Sam shook his head.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" Rue began to shake. What was Quil going to think when Rue went back to school and she completely ignored him? They've never gone more than a few hours without talking to each other or hanging out. They lived beside of each other for gods sake.

"Rue, calm down," Sam warned.

Rue looked down, her body was shaking and she didn't even realize it. Sam repeated his words again, but they did nothing to soothe the teenage girl.

As he watched Rue, an idea popped into Embry's head, "think about Quil."

"Think about the dandelion field, about all the times he's given you a dandelion whenever we would pass a patch of them walking home, or when we'd drive past one and he'd make Jake stop so he could give you one. Think about all the pressed dandelions you use as bookmarks."

"Just think about Quil."

Rue did what he said. She closed her eyes and focused on her breathing. She thought about when her and Quil had first discovered the field, how excited they were. They had spent hours in the field, just laying down. She remembered how after laying down they were covered in puffballs because they had accidentally layer in a pile of them, and how they made sure to bring a blanket next time.

Sam watched as the her body slowly stopped shaking, impressed that she had managed to do what most people could never manage.

"That's incredibly impressive," he told her, "it took Paul almost a month before he could fight against the shift when he got angry, and you just did it not even 10 minutes after you shifted for the first time."