five

┍                                      ┑
—chapter five—
┖                                      ┙

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

❀•°❀°•❀

IT HAD TAKEN RUE about an hour of thinking about being human and her human body before she finally shifted back.

As soon as she had shifted back, Sam left to go get Maia to bring some clothes out for her. All Rue could see of Embry was his back since he was turned around.

"So, you turn into a giant dog?"

She could hear him chuckle softly, "we're wolves, but yeah, and you do too now."

"Yeah what's up with that?"

"It's better to hear it from Sam."

"I want to hear it from you," Rue pushed.

Embry opened his mouth but didn't speak, luckily, Maia had come with clothes.

"Sam's waiting for you at the edge of the woods, she'll get dressed and then meet the two of you there," Maia told him. Embry nodded, and left to meet up with Sam.

"You knew?" Rue asked, her mom handed her the clothes.

Maia nodded, "you've heard the legends before and so have I, not to mention that your father's on the council, plus, who do you think cleans up Paul when him and Malia get into fights?"

"What?" Rue furrowed her brows.

"They're like you, shifters, so is Jared."

Rue opened her mouth and realization hit, everything made so much more sense. Why they were always together, why they missed school for weeks and then came back different then they were before.

That's why they had been looking at her and Embry like that, they were waiting for them to... shift? Is that what Sam had called it?

Rue looked down at her shoulder, "I have a tattoo?"

"Yep, it comes with shifting," her mom explained, "don't know how I feel about my 15 year old having a tattoo." She joked.