Chapter 31: A Game of Chicken, Night of the Living Dead

"" speaking
'' thinking
(A/N) author's notes
** change in setting/pov
[] reading
Blah blah blah spell casting

_______________________________________________________________________________________

*desert* 

*1st pov*

You know, when I first decided to go on this vacation, I was already expecting there to be a few problems. Maybe we wouldn't find a good enough inn, maybe we would have a hard time finding a good restaurant that could accommodate 30 people. I NEVER EXPECTED US TO COME ACROSS A FLOCK OF GAME PLAYING FANTASY OSTRICHES! 

*sighs* Apparently, these running hawk kites love to play a game called "chicken" in which they charge at the hardest material they can find and dodge it at the last second. Sometimes this could be a boulder, or a tank, if those even exist here, but today, their target of choice is my masochistic girlfriend who has now been bound up by choice and is sitting idly by, awaiting to be trampled by them. 

Darkness: *in ecstasy* Here they come, here they come, here they come! *turns to me* Oh (Y/N) I doubt I could survive them trampling me! *not even slightly scared* Oh no, the horror!

Suddenly, one of the running hawk kites got close enough to Darkness, and just as they are advertised, the kite dodged Darkness at the last second by jumping over her and doing a flip, and I had to admit, it did have some style to it. But soon is was followed by the other hawk kites who did the exact same thing, running right up to Darkness' face and then jumping right over her, just barely missing her.

Darkness: *enjoying all of this* (Y/N), would this be considered foreplay? Their narrow misses are so exhilarating! To have a horde of males in heat leaping over me is everything I could have hoped for!

Megumin: *concerned* U-Uh, shouldn't we help her out? *turns to face me, shocked* What the?!

(Y): *writing down notes* Charge at her, then leap over her while in heat. *looks up* She'll be fine, right now I'm taking notes.

Kazuma: *embarrassed* Would you both shut up already?! There are people watching!!!!

Suddenly, Aqua gave a swing of her staff before she pointed it towards Darkness.

Aqua: *dramatic* Blessing!

And with that, a wave of golden sparkles fell upon Darkness as she looked back slightly upset.

Darkness: *upset* No I am fine, really!

The reason for Darkness' distaste for Aqua blessing is because it increased Darkness' luck, meaning that she was less likely to be hit by the Running Hawk Kites. 

Kazuma: *sighs* it looks like she'll be okay now.

(Y): *blunt* Well at least she won't get hurt. I don't think it's possible for her to be just "okay."

Aqua: *smirks* Because my blessing boosted her luck!

(Y): *smirks* Oddly enough, you helped fix a problem you didn't create, and at the same time, you were actually useful.

Aqua: *smiles* Yes, it's nice to finally get the appreciation I deserve, you can reward me by buying me some wine when we get to Alcanretia.

(Y): *blunt* If I have to buy you wine for this one good act, you need to buy me a whole brewery for all that I've done for your sorry ass.

Aqua: *sweatdrops* Perhaps I'll just take the praise then.

Meanwhile, the other adventurers began to attack the Hawk Kites using spells, and they were doing surprisingly well, of course most of our party decided to kick back because... well we were on vacation, but at the same time, feeling partially responsible, I did take out the claws of hades and start slashing at a few of the kites. Maybe if I were to steal the soul of one of them, I could run real fast? Or maybe even be able to summon a flock of them to trample my enemies?