𝐢𝐢. second chance at first line

Start from the beginning

"Argent, you okay?" Jackson asked quickly before he would have to run off to the field again.

"Peachy." She nodded with a faint smile. He paused for a moment, an unconvinced look across his face before he smiled and nodded, running back onto the field leaving her to be consumed by her thoughts again. Maybe she should have moved to somewhere quieter where she wouldn't be asked if she was okay or people wouldn't look at her wondering why she looked so glum, but she needed the fresh air of the field. For both the hangover and her general sanity.

The particular thought that plagued her mind was that she hadn't spoken to her mom since the day of the move, eight days ago. To her own mother, she was forgettable. Most mothers felt the need to call their children multiple times a day, or in Victoria's case, an hour. Part of her wanted to believe that she was just busy with the business and making the most of her time traveling before she came to Beacon Hills in just over a week. But the other part knew her mother better than that. And that was the part that hurt. It felt as though to her own mother she was a case out 'out of sight, out of mind', shoved aside as a careless thought. Not a daughter.

Not a child whom she had willingly brought into this world sixteen years ago.

Kinsey jolted again at the sound of two bodies colliding, audible from across the field, over all of the sounds of people grimacing. Across the field, Jackson and Scott were on the floor, grunting in pain, Jackson in a much worse state than Scott who had managed to pull himself up slightly. Much like Kinsey, everyone seemed to run across the field to Jackson's aid, seeing his condition as much worse than Scott who was still able to talk fine, unlike the Whittemore who could barely breathe through his gripped teeth as everyone circled him.

"Jackson, are you all right?" Kinsey asked, leaning over the boy as he whimpered.

Coach looked beside him at the sound of the girl's voice with a furrowed brow. "Argent. What are you doing on my field? Actually, forget about it. Get my star player to the nurse's office."

"Yes, Coach." she nodded, taking his orders like she was one of his players. She around Jackson, wrapping his good side around her neck as she helped, and struggled, to pull him off of the floor. There was an entire team of muscley jocks around them, but the weak, arguably puny girl was the one who had to drag Jackson across the field to help. She turned to where Scott was on his knees a moment ago, about to offer to help him too, but he was gone, and so was Stiles. He had mastered his disappearing act.

Shaking her head, Kinsey's eyes moved to someone standing off in the distance, lingering with their hands dug deep into the pockets of their leather jacket. She recognized him and his dark, brooding look. It wasn't until she saw him then that his name came back to mind. Derek Hale. He stared back at her, watching her as she stumbled across the field with the oversized jock on her arm. He looked a lot less friendly than he had on Friday night. 

He nodded at her, claiming his peace as she wearily smiled back, her attention drew back to a complaining, injured Jackson as he whined in her ear. "Jackson, you hurt your shoulder not your legs, I can't carry both of our weights." the girl snapped, like magic, the weight lifted from her as the boy began walking properly again.

"You know, you're a lot nicer when you're drunk."

"I'm even nicer when I don't have a jock twice the size of me hanging off of my arm." Kinsey continued to complain. "Just be grateful I'm taking you to the nurse's office, okay? Nobody else was offering their help and I have much better things to do than be your babysitter." She said with irritation, though she was more irritated from the things she'd been thinking about on the bench than Jackson himself. He'd done nothing but be in the wrong place at the wrong time.