17. Trust

____________________________________

Flashback-1 Month Prior
____________________________________

3rd Person POV
____________________________________

Y/N: "Good news. We've come up with a method to get you out that'll only damage you, without putting your life at risk."

Eren: "Sir?"

Y/N: "I said, in the courtroom, that the only way to stop you in your titan form was to kill you. However, in this way, you'd only be wounded badly, but be nowhere close to death. Of course, it also relies on the squad's skills. The idea is to cut you right out of the nape. Obviously, we would end up cutting your arms and legs off, but they'll grow right back."

Levi: "Like a lizard's. Creepy, really."

It was a few days after Eren's court trial, and the L/N squad, along with Hange, were present in a standard classroom-windows at the left side and a black board at the very front, along with numerous tables and seats, discussing the safety protocol to be taken if Eren ever went rogue. The scouts kept hope that Eren wouldn't betray their trust but in their line of work and experience, better to be safe than to be sorry.

In accordance with this belief, Y/N and Levi had found a suitable way to neutralize Eren, were he ever to pose a threat, and agreed to tell the others about it.

Eren: "Please, wait. I don't know how they grow back. Is there any other way-"

Y/N hardens his stare as Eren stops what he was saying; the boy worrying that he may have uttered something unlikeable.

Y/N: "So, you're telling me that you don't want any risks or sacrifices to be made?"

Eren: "N-No."

Y/N: "Then strengthen your resolve. And, we will too. The danger to us is that you may kill us. So, don't worry too much. Besides, I'm sure you'll get used to it."

Eren: "Y-Yes, understood."

Hange: "Th-Then, I can do the experiments, right?"

The lean figure seated upon one of the tables decides to voice her question, as an ominous aura can be sensed being generated off the scientist; her glasses being tilted at such an angle that the sunlight conceals her animalistic gaze.

Y/N: "Sure, but don't go too wild."

Hange: "I can be in charge of planning this, right? Eren, if there's something you can't understand, learn to understand it. It's well worth any risk to our lives."

For the most part, Eren doesn't seem to be all that fond of the idea of being someone's lab rat, but in his mind, if it's for the betterment of humanity, then it's well and truly worth the pain and suffering.

___________________________________________

Having shifted outside and to a more exposed environment, Hange, Levi, and Y/N stand by a small well, inside of which is Eren himself, as the Sun begins its slow descent towards the western horizon.