14. Camp Hell

________________

Your POV
________________

The next day

Today is a special day.

A day which everyone in the Survey Corps will always remember, for as long as they live, because today, we will receive new fodder–to–be for the titans.

You see, before being accepted as respectable scouts, every recruit would have to go through a series of trials and tests which span over a set time period, usually until the next expedition, testing their reflexes, agility, intelligence, combat prowess, and the like. Failure to do so would mean that the recruit would most likely perish beyond the Walls, and so, strict penalties were in place for whoever didn't meet expectations. Besides the veterans, almost everyone has gone through this.

I especially remember the time that I made my own squad members go through the toughest of challenges, since they're supposed to be in a squad which is proclaimed to be the best of the best. Even then, fighting wooden dummies pales in comparison to fighting actual titans. Just take Petra for example. Despite her extensive training, she still managed to piss her pants on her very first expedition. That one certainly got a laugh out of the rest of the squad.

Back to the current moment, it's early morning and the recruits should've arrived already or will arrive soon. They'll first meet Squad Leader Ness and in the evening, they'll stand before me.

Since there's a lot of time before that happens, I've decided to occupy myself for the moment, by taking a look at Eren's file. Anything about him could give us some clues about his extraordinary titan power.

'Would his parents be a good place to start?'

Though, that seemed to yield no results whatsoever. We already know his father is missing and that his mother died at Shiganshina, with both events occurring around the same time. Moreover, further research on his parents reveals nothing solid to me and I start to grow a bit frustrated, trying to make sense of it all but failing miserably.

'What the hell, Grisha Yeager? It's like the Earth just spat you out. Where did you come from? You were a doctor in Shiganshina but there's no record of you having obtained professional knowledge about medicine, or of your life before that. Everything ends up coming to a complete stop.'

Quickly realizing that anything I try would lead to a dead end, I lean back in my chair and close my eyes, trying to wrap my head around our situation and get a better understanding of it. However, due to some fatigue, I seem to slowly drift asleep after a few minutes, since I had been up early and hardly slept last night.

When I next open my eyes, I appear to be in a completely different environment; an open field near the forest of the giant trees. The scene in front of me looks complicated to describe and is incredibly chaotic, since a myriad of events are happening all at once.

Immediately noticeable is the armoured titan, being swarmed by a giant group of normal titans, with it keeping its hands on its neck as if it's trying to protect something.

Or someone.

All the while, its open mouth constantly lets out several bellowing roars of anger and defiance, turning the landscape into something else entirely.