Conversations with Kirishima

Classes have been particularly boring these past few days, whether that be because my focus has been on my anxious sorta friend or simply because I've gotten tired of listening to things I already know. It's the former as I never really have a problem with listening and learning even if I already know the stuff. With our talk a few days back I have been keeping a close eye on Eijiro, which isn't very hard since he still has lunch with Mina and I, each day showing up with less and less encouragement needed from me. It's kinda funny the way he somewhat marvels at Mina who treats him like a long-time friend, the boy had expected something completely different. He doesn't talk much out of the three of us, but he's opened up just a bit more, even telling us who his favorite hero is.

Each day with this guy has me feeling some sort of pride at having taken the time to befriend him.

One day, we're alone at the lunch table, Mina having to take care of something with her club this time around. With just the two of us, conversation was sparse, but things are no longer awkward, the both of us have gotten used to each other enough for that. He hasn't brought up our conversation from that day until that moment, picking at his food as he recalls the day and well, tells me what has been on his mind for a while.

"You were right"

I was very much confused when he said this as I was not sure what he was referring to. Being confused I chew my food slowly, cheeks puffed with the amount I stuffed into my mouth as I await an explanation before simply scanning his mind to figure out what this was about. I'm not always on full alert and reading minds, more often than not I'm practicing the mind control part of my quirk, trying to subtly influence some random person. I've tested my powers more against the few students, who have some sort of mental ability or incredible willpower. Those often result in terrible headaches on both parts, but it's good practice.

"I should change" there's determination this time, something I haven't really seen from him before this point.

"Hey, hey, don't go changing because I told you so" because well, that' is terrible and I did feel bad if he thought he had to become something entirely different because I pointed a few things out. "And I never said you should change, I said you should work your stuff out"

"I know, sorry" he apologizes sheepishly, running a hand through his dark hair and forcing it out of his face. "It's just, I thought about what you said and I realize you have a point, multiple points"

I'm quiet as he talks, simply eating my lunch. He needs to get this off his chest and just say what he wants to say, there is no reason for me to cut in yet. It would be interesting to hear what he has to say and what his perspective is.

"If I truly want to be a hero I should learn to accept my quirk as my own and move past the issues I have with it" he looks at his hands as he says this, clenching his fists as his skin hardens. I pretend not to notice as he doesn't think I saw  "And I need to learn to be brave and believe in myself"

Hmm, okay, good to know I helped out somehow.

"But it's hard"

"Of course it's hard," I say. "It's not easy to make these changes, you know, so just take your time. We have practically three years"

He sighs, slumping a bit as he returns to his food.

"How do people do it?"

"Do what?"

"Go out there and face danger with no fear, how does All Might always keep that smile on his face. How does Crimson Riot charge in with no hesitation" he sounds almost desperate with the question, desperate for an answer he knows he won't get.