Sunday

Sundays are the best for me, not Fridays not Saturdays, just Sunday. It is on Sunday that I can sleep past noon, eat and do absolutely nothing for the entire day because on Sunday I have no worries. I don't have to worry about my studies, my father and his odd training methods nor my instructor. Sunday is the day of rest indeed and I need the rest. It feels like this is my first day of rest in the past six months. Six months, it has been six months since I've started training with my father, six months of me learning control, six months of destroying our poor back yard. I'm glad to say I've mastered the fire and learned not to fear it, after many failed attempts. Sadly my body aches from yesterday's session with my instructor, a pain that is only tolerated by my pride at having convinced my instructor to teach me four specific forms of martial arts. I had the idea when I first held fire in my palm, marvelling at the power I hold and wondering if I can use it the way Zuko does. That led to another thought that then led me down a rabbit hole which led to me asking my instructor to teach me four different styles instead of the one I had formally requested.

Forget taekwondo, teach me Tai Chi, Hung Gar, Northern Shaolin, Bagua.

It took a lot of begging on my part, some well-placed words on my parent's part and a lot of patience on my instructor's part. In the end, I got my way so I have officially started learning four martial arts style. Seems like a lot but I am dedicated to these styles of fighting, because why the hell not? I already have all four elements, might as well learn the techniques that go with them.

All in all, things have been busy and I am tired.

"Zena, wake up!"

There's a bang, most likely my door hitting the wall followed by my father's bellow. He sounds as cheery as ever as if he is not disturbing me at the moment. I am very busy doing nothing, so please just leave me alone and bother mom today. I just want to rest my weary body and sleep for as long as my body will allow. I curl into my blanket, covering my head with a groan making my displeasure very clear to this man. He ignores all the signs, as he always does and proceeds to haul me out of bed, disrespectfully. Now I'm glaring into those bright hazel eyes that are just so happy for reasons unknown. I want to kick him in the chin, something very much accomplishable by the way he's holding me. It is only my fondness of this amazing father that holds me back, but one wrong word and it's over for him. I have learned to put literal fire behind my kicks.

"Dad, it's Sunday, the one day in the week I'm actually without a worry in the world, the one day in the week I decide to be a child and act my age, so why, dear father, have you awoken me on this fine morning?"

His excuse has better be good or I might be hiring my mother to dispose of a body. I'm sure she loves me more than him so she'll happily be my partner in crime.

"Your cousin would like to spend some time with you so she's coming over today. She'll be here soon so you should clean up" he's smiling, as always. I don't know how he can be so happy but on the other hand, I do. This man has all this money, a beautiful wife and a precious daughter. He's living the life, so why not smile?

All of that aside I'm debating whether or not I should actually kick him for those words. No one told me about this beforehand as they should have. Now I hear of it, on the day I plan to do absolutely nothing with absolutely no one, especially not my cousin of all people. Don't get me wrong, she's cool and I actually like her, but I want to sleep and do nothing today. If she's here I'll have to play and keep her entertained.

But she's actually a fun kid.

There's a balance in everything.

"Dad"

"She misses you sweetie and you know she adores you"

Adore is a very strong word, but yes she loves me, a love that has not dwindled despite my lack of memories of her. I suppose the least I can do is offer my free time, she is family after all.