Checkmate

JK's POV

"What's the relationship of that french idiot's sister to all this?" Jisoo looks at me in disbelief after I have made a summary, well summed up about recent events.

"She works for the police and was investigating her own brother, but she could never gather evidence against him and Haein."

"It doesn't make sense, none of this makes sense. What is Haein's interest in all of this?" the knock on the door interrupts Jisoo's confusion.

"Good morning!" a tall policeman enters Jisoo's room "I'm officer Jungkook."

"Good morning." Jisoo and I say together.

"I wouldn't want to bother you, but Jung Hae In said he'll only speak and deliver what we want if you talk to him. We've tried the other ways, but he doesn't talk at all and his only request is to talk to you."

"I'll." Jisoo sighs.

"I'll go with you."

"Jennie, it could be dangerous."

"I'll, Jisoo." she stares at me for a few seconds before sighing and just nodding her head.

The way to the police station is silent and Jisoo seems so far away. I take her hand and she gives me a soft smile, squeezing my hand tightly.

As soon as we arrive, they lead us into a room full of mirrors, with just a table and three chairs. I sit down next to Jisoo and a few minutes later they bring Haein.

I gape at the apparent changes. He lost pounds in a few days and is covered with bruises all over his body. Someone's been getting beaten up. I hold back the urge to laugh at the glare he gives me.

"I didn't ask for her." he says in an authoritative tone.

"If you don't want Jennie here, you won't have me either." Jisoo answers in the same tone and he sighs, sitting in the chair in front of us.

"It seems like a long time ago, Sooya." He tries to take her hand, but she crosses her arms and sighs.

"You said you'd talk if I were here."

"How long have you been obsessed with Jisoo?" I end up talking without thinking and Haein looks surprised.

"I think the correct word would be passionate."

"Your dictionary is totally different from mine, but go ahead." I shrug and he laughs.

"Since when your father's financial problems started." he says thoughtfully "When I saw you and Adam arguing, I was delighted with your attitude." He turns to Jisoo.

"What? I don't remember you in Paris." She says totally confused.

"The day you ended the contract, I was in that building" he sighs "It was love at first sight, Sooya, you have no idea how I fell in love with you."

"And where do I fit in all this, bastard?" I say irritated and he gives me a mocking smile.

"Your father was the key to us being here today, my dear Jennie. If it weren't for his addiction, you might not even be alive. I investigated everything I could about you and saw that the easiest way was to involve your family, from my sources it was safe that you would sacrifice yourself for their sake and so you did." His smile gets even bigger and I close my hands angrily.

"Have you been playing a God all this time?" Jisoo takes a deep breath and I see her grit her teeth "Have you been using different people to manipulate and move the game in such a way that you come off as the good guy? Did you really think that your stupid game, manipulating us like pawns on a board, would make you win? What the hell did you want anyway?" She stands up and rests her hands on the table, leaning towards him. I've never seen Jisoo as nervous as she's now "What was the reward for acting like an asshole for so long?"

"You" he looks at her and I see her nostrils flare "All I ever wanted was you."

"You destroyed so many things because of me? So many people?" Jisoo shakes her head in disapproval.

"I did everything I did for love!" he changes the tone of voice.

"THIS ISN'T LOVE!" she screams and now I'm scared "You just want one more toy to show everyone, you're only interested because your wish is difficult to be fulfilled."

"Jennie doesn't deserve you. She was never good enough for you and never will be." Haein stares at me.

"Maybe I should thank you, Haein." I smile and he narrows his eyes suspiciously "If it wasn't for your chess game, I wouldn't have learned my lesson and I wouldn't be with Jisoo now."

"I knew it was you investigating me!" he grits his teeth tightly "I should have finished with you when I had the chance."

"You were wrong again." Jisoo says "I investigated you, but it doesn't matter anymore, because we'll never see each other again and I hope you rot behind bars, rats like you should stay in cages." She takes her coat and leaves the room without looking back.

"WOAH! And I thought she had been hard on Adam." I let out a low giggle and stand up "What did you do, brought us closer, Haein, thank you!" I wink at him and also leave the room.

I find Jisoo talking on the phone to someone and looking at her watch, a few minutes later she hangs up and comes over to me.

"Do you have any commitments now?" She continues to play with her phone.

"I had to go to the company to settle the details of a project with Kai."

"Tell him you'll do it tomorrow, we'll meet Chaelisa now." She puts her phone in her pocket and looks at me.

"Why? What will we do now?" I furrow my brows in confusion and she takes my hands, squeezing them gently and intertwining our fingers.

"Tell Jongin you can't go to work today because we're going to the notary's office to get married." She smiles softly and her face lights up, reminding me of Paris.

"Wait, what? Marry? Jis..." She sticks her hands in the collar of my overcoat and pulls me, kissing me intensely, in the middle of the police station.

"After realizing that anyone we don't know yet can influence our lives, I'm even more sure that I want to spend the rest of my days with you, Jendeukie" she slides her fingers on my cheek, stroking gently "It doesn't matter whoever tries to manipulate our lives, you'll not escape me. I don't want to wait any longer, we can have a celebration and a party later, more slowly, but I want to marry you because for this wedding to be perfect, I just need you."

"Chu" I feel the tears start to fall "I don't know what to say."

"I just need a word, Jendeukie." She takes a deep breath and holds my face with both hands, looking at me so intensely that it's as if Jisoo is looking directly into my soul "Do you accept to spend the rest of your days being irritated and loved by me? Because I swear I'll do everything..." now I kiss her quickly and she sighs as I pull away.

"Yes, Chu. Don't make me promises, just love me and don't give up on me, just as I'll love you and never give up on you, and we'll be the happiest couple in the whole world." I feel my cheeks blush, but I can't help smiling before she kisses me again.

END.