9

Brittany's POV
I climb into the car beside Sam. He smiles, and squeezes my thigh. Okay, that's very forward, but I won't write him off yet. Maybe it was a mistake? Or maybe he's just one of those people who likes to communicate by touch. I guess I'm kind of like that, but I stick to hugs. Or maybe it's normal for a date. I have no clue.

Sam turns the music in his car down, and starts to chat to me. I take in his outfit. Blue jeans, a plain white T-shirt and a red tartan flannel. It would look casual, if I couldn't see the designer logos on his jeans, the way his T-shirt is that bright brand new white colour, and his flannel has literal gold buttons. And I thought I was rich.

He stops talking and looks at me expectantly, and I realise that I've zoned out.
"Hmm? Sorry, I didn't catch that last part."
"It's fine. I was just asking how your week has been."
"It's been great! All my professors are really lovely, and the other students are really nice. What about you?"
"It's been okay, I guess. My professors are mostly nice, but there's this one girl who just seems to hate me."
"Really? That's a shame. Do you know why?"
"Nope. She just insults me on my mouth the whole time."
"For the record, I like your mouth."

Ahhh no. I should not have complimented his mouth. He might think I want to kiss, and I don't. I can feel Sugar trying to kill me from miles away. She would have probably slapped me. Same with Santana. Why, why, why can I not function like a normal human being and go on a date without messing everything up.

Sam smiles, and starts to lean in. Coincidentally, we stop at a red light, and he doesn't have to watch the road anymore. He gets closer, and closer, until I can smell his minty breath (at least he brushed his teeth). Desperate for anything, I search around in the car for something to help. I see a California sticker and point to it.

"Wow, are you from California?" I practically yell, scooting far away from him. He retreats, and pastes on a smile to hide his disappointment.
"Uhm, yeah, have you ever been?"
"A few times. I love the beaches, did you do many watersports?"
"We mostly took my dads yacht out."
"How come you're so rich? What's your dads job?"
"He doesn't have one."
"Moms job?"
"Hairdresser."

Okay. Something doesn't add up. Unless his mom is one of those celebrity hairdressers, how on earth can they afford a yacht.

"But, my parents won the lottery. 36 million dollars."
"Wow. Jesus, that's a lot."
"I know! I was like 13, and it was the best thing ever."
"So you're really, really, rich."
"Yep."

We're quiet after that. I'm worried that I've messed things up, by talking about how rich he is. Even though I'm not sure I even want to go out with him, I really down want to hurt his feelings. Thankfully, we pull up at the drive in movie theatre. We get snacks on the way in, popcorn and m&ms, then we park up.

Sam hands me some food, and then starts to talk to me again. And we actually get on really well. His point of view of the world is like mine. He sees the best in people, and is optimistic about everything. We continue to talk during the movie, and cover all subjects from first pets (me, a fish called Princess. Him, a dog called Phil) to our favourite foods. But I don't know if I'm in love with him, or just enjoy his company.

Whenever I try to picture kissing him, it feels weird and unnatural. And he's cute, but I don't feel attracted to him, if that makes sense? In theory, he's perfect, but not for me. I feel like a relationship with him would be predictable. We go on a few dates, maybe have sex on the third one. After graduating college, he'll propose. I'll get pregnant just after the wedding, we'll have two kids and a dog.

I prefer cats.

I'm probably overthinking it. I barely know him, for goodness sake. I'll see how this date goes, maybe go on a few more. As Santana said, it's dating, not marriage.