3

Brittany's POV
Santana seems to know where we're going, and as we get closer to Apartment Block 6, the music becomes louder. Santana holds my arm tighter, as if I'm going to run away. To be honest, I'm considering it. I've never went to any large scale parties in high school, and this seems like a pretty big deal. Santana is oblivious to my nervousness, and struts ahead, practically dragging me with her. I take deep breaths and calm myself down. I'm an adult. I can leave whenever I want to.

But I'm not going to leave. This is a first step for me. My first college party. And I'm going with Santana, who seems confident about what she's doing. As long as I stick with her, everything should go well, right? I might even meet a potential boyfriend or girlfriend. Sugar would have passed away by now, with shock at me going to a party. She hosted most of them in her daddy's mansion, but I was a no-show. Nothing could get me to show up.

We get to Block 6. The music is really loud, the bass thumping through the walls. Santana stops just before we go in and looks directly into my eyes.

"Listen, are you okay with this? If you really don't want to go, you can go home."
I want to shake my head, and run back to the apartment. But the brave part of me nods my head and gives Santana a confident smile.
"It'll be fun, right?"

She gives me a huge smile back, and practically drags me inside. The place is full of people. Everyone is sitting on stairs, drinking from Red Solo Cups and eating pizza. The music is blaring, and I sing along to the tune under my breath. Santana steers me upstairs, trying not to trip over the groups of people sitting down, and into the main source of the party. The apartment is the same size as ours, but completely full of people.

The Mohawk guy from earlier sees us and walks over, giving us a smile he probably thinks is hot, but it's actually a bit sleazy.

"Evening ladies. I'm Puck, and what can I get you to drink?"

Santana gives him an equally big smile.

"Thanks, but we'll get our own. You could get us some pizza, if you would be so kind"

He nods and backs off. Santana waits until he disappears before turning to me with a more serious expression on her face.

"You probably already know this, but always get your own drinks at parties. I've made the mistake before"

I want to ask her about it more, but she presses a cup into my hand along with a slice of pizza.

"Okay, time to mingle." She squeezes my hand and disappears into the crowd. I try to spot her, but it's too dark and crowded. I eat my pizza and have a drink, but it tastes disgusting so I spit it back into my cup. There's a loud group playing a complicated drinking game on one side of the room, so I stand on the outskirts, just so I don't look like a loner.

Then someone puts on some proper music, and a girl I don't know grabs my hands and pulls me onto the floor. She's Asian, with blue streaked hair and a red and black striped crop top. I recognise her from the career fair earlier. She was on the LGBTQ+ stall. The music picks up in speed, and we keep up with it. She's not an amazing dancer, and we can barely move for laughing.

After a few songs, I'm really thirsty. I lean in and shout "I'm going for a drink. You want one?"
She nods and we leave the floor. Neither of us want anything alcoholic, and a prolonged search finds us some bottles of water. We take one each and go out to the stairs inside the block. Our legs dangle between the railings as we talk.

"You're a pretty good dancer" she compliments. I shrug "I've been doing it since forever. I'm Brittany."
"I'm Tina. Where are you from?" She asks, then takes a drink. "Connecticut. You?" "New York. Other side of the city." We're quiet for a little longer.
"I saw you at the LGBT stall earlier today, collecting a leaflet. Are you part of the community, or an ally, or questioning?" She asks, sounding genuinely interested. "I'm bi. How about you?"