NICO DI ANGELO

Weekends were always boring, but they were better than school days. Nico slept in late, tired from Reyna Ramirez-Arellano's party the night before. He got up, opening a text from his internet friend. He still didn't know her name, it was clear neither of them liked talking about themselves too much.

Oracle_of_Delphi: Zhdi sorty I didn't answer I was at this party last night and now am setting my friend up with someone mwhahahsjsah

The fact she was at a party made Nico almost panic. He didn't even know what state she lived in, but they definitely were in the same timezone. He calmed down. Surely there were thousands of parties, it had been a Saturday night.

He went to get breakfast, the house practically empty. Hazel was probably in her room, though. He ate alone, not sure what to do for the rest of the day. Then Hazel ran into the dining room.
"Nico! There you are!" Hazel shoved her phone into his hand.
"What?"
"Frank Zhang asked me on a date. Well. No. Frank Zhang's friend asked me to go on a date with him then he apologised and then asked me to go on a date. Well- maybe not a date. But a date."

Nico read the texts. "Next Saturday."
"Yes! What do I do?!"
"Say yes? If you want to of course. If you don't then say no."
"I do want to- it's just-" Hazel looked like she was about to say something. "I do."
"Then go for it. But be safe, okay?"
"Yeah- uhm- one problem. What do I wear?"
"You're asking me that?"
"Mhm."
Nico thought she was joking, but she didn't seem to be laughing. "I can't give you fashion advice. But I can get Jules-Albert to take you to the mall. And I can use Father's credit card."

Hazel frowned. "Is it legal to steal our father's card?"
Nico shrugged. "He won't even notice."
"Then let's go!" Hazel said.

They got into Jules-Albert's car, Hazel telling him all about Frank. Nico stopped listening halfway through and started texting his friend instead.

Ghost_King: my half-sister was asked on a date so I'm going to spend my father's money with her
Oracle_of_Delphi: IM HELOJG MY FRIEND GO SHOPING FOR HIS DATE WITH MY FRIENFD and they're all idiots. Istg one of them is a skater boy. I know you have a crush on a skater boy but this one is soooo irritating.

It was embarrassing to say, but even though she didn't know Nico's name, she was the only one to know he was gay. He didn't even want to admit it to himself, but she knew. She also knew about his crush on Percy Jackson (who she knew as 'the skater boy'), which was even more embarrassing. Nico hated Percy more than anyone. After Bianca...

Nico put down his phone. "Hey, Jules-Albert? There's a pet shop near here. Can we get a puppy?"
"No. For the millionth time."
"Please. Look, I have father's credit card!" Nico pulled it out of his pocket. "So I'll pay for it. Please. Please. Please!"
"Mister di Angelo! You should not have that!"
"Eh. Won't hurt his bank account."
Jules-Albert just sighed, pulling into the mall.
"Ugh-"
"Thanks, Jules-Albert. We'll be back soon!" Hazel smiled, cutting Nico off from complaining again. He got out of the car.
"I just want a pet dog."

• • •

They went into a lot of stores. Hazel bought a lot of clothes.
"Do I buy more jewellery?" Hazel asked, looking through some bracelets.
"Hazel, if you buy anymore jewellery we'll need to use a whole room for all of it."
"Good point. We can use the stables since they're empty and our father won't buy a freaking horse."
Nico laughed. Before he ever moved in with his father, there used to be horses at the house, meaning there were stables outside their house not being used, which Hazel was not happy about.