Chapter 18- Contract

Adriano Calvetti

I let out a deep breath before I raise my hand and knock on the door. I take a step back and adjust my tie again.

I automatically straighten my body when the door of Amara's room opens and reveals her. She immediately lets her gaze wander over me, just like I do with her.

She wears a black blazer dress that reaches down to her knees. Her entire outfit is black, even her jewelry. The only colored things about Amara are her dark red lips and the sole of her Louboutin shoes.

We both look like we were about to attend a funeral and in a sense that's exactly what we will do.

We are about to go to our own funeral.

Or rather our execution. 

The words that are written in this contract and the things we will discuss will decide our entire future and we are about to find out how it will look.

I lift my arm for her to hook hers in.

"You ready?" I ask.

She hesitates but then lets out a deep breath.

"Let's get this over with." She answers with a blank face expression and hooks her arm in.

I grin back at her and then we start walking down the corridor. Without saying a word, we take the elevator down to get to the conference room.

Our arms are hooked the entire time, but we don't dare to glance at each other even for a second.

At least, I don't.

As we walk around the corner, we can already see two guards standing before the room, ready to let us in.

They give us a nod as greeting and open the matt glass door.

We both put immediately a fake smile on as we walk into the room, seeing that all the human beings of importance are already there.

A total of ten people are sitting around the conference table. Our parents and the four lawyers stand up to greet us but we both ignore them and sit down.

They all look at each other like they wouldn't know what do and then thy decide to sit down, the lawyers seeming embarrassed.

Obviously, Amara and I both agree that we are not making the lives of our executioners easy.

One of the four man clears their throat and then begins to talk. We look over the contract and get explained every fucking detail. Most of the things are about finances and what will change after our wedding.

It is also clarified how our life together and the appearance in public will be.

For hours we are sitting there, agreeing to different aspects of the contract.

But in the end, it wouldn't have mattered what we didn't want to happen because from the beginning, our parents made it clear to us that we couldn't change anything before we sign it.

We didn't have a choice other than agreeing to these points. Alessandro and Grayson have already made all the decisions.

"Now there are of course also things other than finances that we have to discuss." My father speaks up after we signed the contract.

I swear to God, if he starts again with this bullshit from last time I...

I clench my fists tightly together, the knuckles turning white.

Breath.

He wouldn't bring it up again. He isn't that stupid. My father knows this woman since she was a little girl.