28

It squirmed, trying to get away from Pico. He refused to let go. Mostly because it had tried to attack those kids as well as him, but he'd lost Keith to many times before, and wouldn't be able to handle one more.

He was saving himself as much as he was trying to save Keith.

He elbowed the door and stepped back, and it let out a shrill scream, kicking violently at his knees.

The door opened and Nene's eyes widened.

"He almost attacked these two kids, we can't just let him run around the city." He answered her question before she asked.

"So what are we doing with him?"

He hadn't thought of that. "Well, we aren't setting him free." It snapped at Nene, trying to attack her.

"We're going to have to lock him in his room, he's obviously not calming down."

"Right."

Nene walked away from the door, leaving room for Pico to enter.

He walked upstairs with his back turned, Keith still squirming in his arms. It kicked, breaking one of the supports on the railing. He walked back into the wall so it wouldn't break anymore.

The door was still wide open from when he was there earlier.

It seemed to catch on to what was happening, and screeched again, but it sounded different. It wasn't so much off a screech as it was a song. A beautiful, mind and body numbing song.

Pico felt his grip loosening and his legs weakening. He quickly pushed Keith in, slammed the door, and sat up against it.

It continued 'singing', and Pico's head felt heavy. His emotions blurred together to the point where he felt physically sick. The numbness was creeping up his neck. His eyes fell out of focus and everything was turning pink.
Bold, neon pink.

He couldn't help but sing along to the song, even if his voice was rougher than sandpaper. It wasn't even in his control.

Their voices combined drowned out all coherent thought.

He would just sit there, in that pink void. Forever. He didn't have to think. He didn't have to breathe. That was fine.

"Pico, are you alright?"

The pink faded in an instant. Nene was crouched next to him, one hand on the door.

"What?"

"You weren't responding. Well, you were making weird noises, but other than that."

"You don't hear that singing?"

"That's not singing, Keith is screeching."

She must've been lying though. Keith was singing beautifully.

"The singing is messing with me."

Nene frowned. Pico changed the subject.

"We're going to have to block this door. It's not like I can sit here forever."

"Maybe we should move some furniture in front of it."

"Barricade."

"Yeah, that's what I mean."

"I don't think we'll need much. He's not that strong. Just fast."

"Give me a moment. Theres probably something in the guest room." She went into the next room. A loud scraping noise came, and Keith stopped singing from the other side of the wall.

Nene slowly pulled out a wooden dresser and dragged it down the hall.

Pico stood up, still in front of the door.

"This will probably more than compensate."

"Do you need help?"

"I had no help when I moved into this house three years ago, that is including bringing all the furniture upstairs. Including this. So no."

"Wow." Three years ago Pico didn't even know how old he was.

She pushed it in front of the door, wiping her forehead.

"How the hell did that spread so fast?"

"What?"

"The, uh," She spun her hand around as if it would help her think of the right word. "Demon thingy, or whatever. Corruption! That's the word."

"It is?"

"Yeah, even your hair is turning black. Like someone dipped you in paint."

"Should I check the mirror?"

"Uh, Pico?" She paused, looking him in the eye. "As much as I hate to say this, I think I'm going to have to lock you up as well."

"Why?" That was a pointless question. He knew why. He just hoped she'd maybe say sike or something. All he would ever do in his room was think.

"Its for safety. You're so close to fully turning, and you saw what Keith is like."

"Yeah, I know. He took a bite out of my shoulder."

"I- wow, I didn't realize. Oh."

"I'll just go in my room now. And wait."

"Well. Goodbye then. If you need anything before you turn, just yell for me."

"Will do." He stepped into his room and closed the door.

He turned off the light. There was enough light coming from the window.

When he went full, would the monster he became escape through the window?

Keith couldn't, his room didn't have windows. It was ironic, because he was always so bright.

What if there was a way to get him back.

It was possible, right? Otherwise this world would be overrun with monsters like that.

Probably.

There was the true loves kiss thing, but that didn't work.

Maybe it was circumstantial.

He and Keith weren't together then. He thought Keith hated him then. He hated himself as well. Then.

There really was only one way to find out, wasn't there?

In that moment, he knew exactly what he had to do.

He just hoped it would work. It was his last chance.

WE'RE ALMOST THERE GUYS AHHHHHHHHHH
SORRY FOR THE SHORTER CHAPTER I TOOK MY ADDERALL TO EARLY SO I HAD TROUBLE FOCUSING