24

Hehehe >:)

Pico sat with his back towards the door. He didn't want to lay in bed right now.

He was having his thoughts. The bad ones.

He needed fresh air. He wouldn't go far. He might not even leave the porch. He just needed air.

Pico cracked open his window, the crisp autumn air sending a shudder down his spine.

Nene might have over estimated him, but she also underestimated him.

He popped the screen out of the frame and cautiously climbed onto the roof.

It was beautiful.

The purple, star speckled sky. Cotton clouds floating around like sheep in a field.

The cold air against his sore throat, wind against his eyes.

The faint scent of pumpkin from all of the carved jack-o-lanterns on his street.

The sound of delicate leaves tossing in the air, constantly changing course. Both nowhere and everywhere to go.

Crickets chirping, owls hooting, raccoons scampering, it was all alive.

The pale, pale moon taunting him, just out of reach. Go on, jump up. Try and catch me.

He wouldn't though. It wouldn't go to well. He'd already had one close call, and it wouldn't take much to send him to the psych ward.

Still, it taunted him. Just jump, reach out your hand.

He sat down on the rough black shingles.

He held out his fingers, as if touching the stars. He counted them, one by one. He'd never count them all.

Maybe that didn't matter. Maybe he was just going to count them.

It really didn't matter.

He was just going to enjoy it while he could.

A creak came from behind him.

Pico turned around.

"Hey, Pico." Keith. Why was Keith in his window?
Why was Keith in his room?

Pico opened his mouth to tell him to fuck off, but stopped himself. "Hi."

"I, uh, wanted to talk to you. If that's alright with you." He added the last part like a second thought.

"Just don't hurt me again." Pico went back to the stars. He had lost count. Time to restart then.

"I didn't want to hurt you. I would never hurt you on purpose. You know that, right?"

"I don't know." 19, 20, 21, 22...

"I was just trying to fix things. Not just the corruption, but fix things with you."

"We were fine. You didn't have to..." The sentence didn't need finishing for Keith to understand. 51, 52, 53, 54...

"No, I messed up. I shouldn't have broken up with you. You were right. I cheated on her with you, and I cheated on you with her. It was my fault. I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

Police sirens wailed in the distance, interrupting the peaceful night. They seemed to be getting closer, but that happened sometimes. It was pointless to think about it to much. 75, 76, 77, 78...

"The thing is, Pico," He took a deep breath, like he was going to jump off of a diving board into a pool. 84, 85, 86- this was more important than stars. "I still... I still love you. I understand if you just want to stay friends, or less than that. If you want me to leave, I'll leave. You won't have to see me ever again. I just want you to be happy."