26

Pico was curled into a ball on the couch. Nene wasn't back yet. She'd also been taken in for questioning.

He still had a little bit of hope. Maybe Keith would be brought back. Maybe he wouldn't be forced to live with his mom. Maybe he'd run in and hug Pico, tell him that he missed him more than Pico missed him.

But realistically, that would never happen. He'd probably never see him again. Not with his current situation.

I'm such a fucking pessimist.

He got up and went upstairs. He wasn't supposed to be in his room during the day, but technically 4:37 in the morning wasn't daytime hours.

He stopped by the door of Keith's room. He'd never really been in there.

His fingers brushed against the door handle, before holding the cold brass knob and turning it.

The walls were a pastel blue. All the wood had been stained gray, the bed was made so one pillow was under the comforter and the other was on top.

The closet door was closed.

Pico opened it.

There wasn't a ton of shirts. One stood out. It was a white T-shirt with a red cancel symbol on the front, some of the pattern was peeling off. It was Keith's favorite shirt. It smelled faintly of hair dye and sweat.

Pico pulled off his own sweater and put on Keith's shirt. It was soft and cool. The remains of a trimmed off tag rubbed against his neck. He never realized how loose this shirt was.

He smiled for a quick moment, sitting down on the floor. The carpet was soft and baby blue.

The door rattled open downstairs, and he felt the feeling of calm dissapear. Nene must've come back.

He slipped his sweater over the shirt, closed the closet door, and made his way downstairs, his hand running along the wooden railing.

He sat back down on he couch, right where he had sat before.

"I'm surprised I only got a fine, I really thought I was going to get arrested or something." Nene sighed in relief.

Pico wished she'd continue on a huge rant. It would be so much better if she did, he wouldn't have to listen to his thoughts. He wouldn't have to think about what he'd just lost. And now he was thinking about it.

"You okay Pico?"

"No." He didn't want to lie. He pulled his hands into his- Keith's- shirt.

"You need anything?"
He needed Keith back.

"Water would be nice." He wanted to drown himself.

"Alright." She grabbed a bottle of water and handed it to him.

"Thanks." He pressed it against his forehead. He didn't know why he asked for it. He wasn't thirsty or anything.

Nene turned on the TV to the news and sat down next to him.

Pico tuned it out and stared off into space.

• • •

This wasn't good. Keith sat in a chair at the table. His mom in the kitchen, raving at him about how she was so lonely without him and it was stupid of him to run away. It was like she had forgotten the reason he ran away was that she kicked him out. 

He bounced his foot up and down impatiently. As soon as he could, he was making a break for it.

His hand was numb. As well as the rest of him. His vision was a little blurrier than usual, but he barely noticed. Most of his skin was matte black, if not turning.

"Is it alright if I use the bathroom?" He asked, trying to keep his voice soft. His 'mom' could snap at him, and he didn't need that.

"Yes, quickly." She scoffed.

He got up and speed walked to the bathroom, locking the door behind him.

He checked his reflection. The weird curse was up to his chin. It was just his face clear. His eyes had a slight pink glow to them, and some of his hair was turning black as well. His teeth felt out of place, like they'd been pulled forward.

He hated teeth. He always had. He always would.

If he watched carefully, he could see the curse inching up his face. What did that lady say would happen if it went full? If she said anything.

Hopefully nothing too bad, because this was spreading fast and there was no signs of slowing down.

It reached up like someone desperately trying to climb a cliff.

He felt his cheek. When he pulled his hand away, there was another black patch. Great, this stuff was like paint.

A knock came from the door, interrupting his thought.

"Are you okay in there Keith?" Her sugary voice trembled as it tried to mask what she actually sounded like. "You've taken a while in there."

He opened the door, and his mom stood there, staring down at him.

"What's on your face?"

"Nothing."

"Its obviously not nothing, don't even try lying." The sugar voice broke away.

"I don't even want to be here."

"Why would you want to be anywhere else, I can take care of you more than you'd ever need."

"I'm leaving."

Her face fell, her hands shaking. "I'm giving you one warning. Stop off this nonsense."

"I'm leaving." He repeated, his tone the same.

"Last chance." She raised a fist at her side.

"You can't stop me."

A loud clap resounded. Her hand slid past his now stinging cheek.

He stood there for a minute, as the moment replayed in his head like a broken record. He held his hand on his cheek where she hit him.

"I warned you."