Reunited

“Who the hell is Dorian?” Garret looked at me with a confused and slightly insulted expression. I felt my brows furrow as I tried to recall where I conjured the name.  He was still standing close to me, and my bags lay discarded on the floor.

“I…I don’t know.”

Milly had left me to sit on the couch and I tried to gather my wits. I ran a hand through my hair and smiled apologetically at Garret’s unconvinced face.

“Honestly. It just…came out.”

James started laughing and couldn’t seem to stop, which annoyed me more than anything else.

“Shut it, you absolute buffoon.” Garrets tone was vicious and I winced, glad it wasn’t directed at me. Only Garret could call someone a buffoon and make it sound threatening rather than snooty.

“Don’t be mad. Or insulted. It’s your own fault really. Nothing good will ever come from kissing me.”  I was rambling slightly, due to the rising panic that was crushing my chest.

His expression softened and he chuckled lightly. “At least you didn’t hook me this time.”

 I smiled and took a deep breath, trying to ignore the pull of the book on the table. My hair was full of tangles and I tugged on them as I shoved my hands through it. I left my shopping bags on the floor, no longer excited about my new clothes.

“So…you can’t get rid of the book?” I tried to sound nonchalant but even I could hear the desperation leaking through.

Garret shook his head but surprisingly, it was James who spoke up.

“No matter what we do to it, it appears in the same place every time.”

Milly sounded curious but she showed no signs of the worry everyone else were exerting as she relaxed on the sofa.

“Where’s that?”

Maginuss sighed. “Mackenzie’s room.”

 I couldn’t stop the small smile that formed on my lips. That book was meant for me, I knew it with every bone in my body.  It wasn’t addiction that had me wanting to keep the book, it was possessiveness. That book was made for me.

“Don’t get excited, Red, if you think I’m going to let you write in that book, you can think again.”

I sniffed. “You can’t tell me what to do.”

He took a step closer and wrapped his strong arms around my waist. I probably could have shocked him off with a bit of power, but a part of me like the feeling of his hard chest under my hands as I tried to push him off. He leaned forward and whispered in my ear.

“No but I’m sure I can…persuade you.” I grabbed onto his shirt and if it wasn’t for Milly coughing loudly, I don’t know whether I would have pulled him forward or pushed him back. He let go of me and stepped back. His grin lit up the room and I wrinkled my nose at him in annoyance.

“I think she should write in it.”

It was my turn to grin as Garret whipped round to face her. “Are you off your nut?!”  

She shrugged. “Yes but that’s not the point. I think she should write in it, it’s hurting her not to, I can see it.”

It wasn’t exactly hurting me but I wasn’t going to argue with the one person on my side. I didn’t know why I was so desperate to write in the book, but it called to me on a level that nothing ever had. I knew that once I wrote in it, this desperate feeling would go away.

“Right, so we should let her get even more obsessed with it, let it kill her too.”

Maginuss winced at Garret’s harsh words and I put a hand on his arm to calm him. He looked down at me with an almost feral expression and I worked not to let him see the fear on my face.